$2500 upgrade parts ordered

AxeSeth6

A while back I asked for help from you all. After many replies this is what is on the way.
DUI complete kit, long tube dual out header package jet coated from classic inlines $1150
Weber 32/36 from carbs unlimited $269
linkage, carb adapter, fuel reg, air cleaner from clifford $249
total so far $1668
After this all goes together and the dual exhust system is paid for I'll see whats left in the till.
maybe 1.6 rockers?
I also bought some other items but they were not performance items so I did not count them against the budget. That list goes like this Alloy valve cover CI, shocks, leaf springs, bushings, steering wheel and horn bezel NPD. That totaled about $900.
So next week it will be like Xmas around here. I'll keep you all posted and will include before and after pics.

Have you decided one way or another on the rocker arms? I don't have any direct experience using them but looking at them installed sure gives me an uneasy feeling. The geometry looks pretty severe and i would be worried about premature wear of various components.
I think the ignition you ordered will give you the greatest rewards in terms of idle and drivability. My setup is about the same as yours except I'm using one a Clay Smith cam from Classic Inlines and I have dual exhuast, 2 1/4" with mini-turbo mufflers. Real nice deep sound and no resonance that you may get from some other mufflers.
Keeps us informed of your progress.

sounds good, i would go with a Camshaft instead of 1.6 roller rockers if ur going for performance

I am trying to stay away from the cam until i can do a rebuild on this or a donor motor. The rockers are just an idea and I dont know how good of one either. I might just leave it with the items I bought and use any leftover for dressup stuff. Rockers seem to be the only item left before going into the motor. They seem like they would give the effect of a larger cam but if I rebuild the motor would i still use them? Any thought on that would be appreciated.

I believe there was a post here from AZCoupe that showed that the roller rocker provided only a few percent increase in horsepower. Not a big bang for the buck.
Save the money for machine work, bearings, pistons, etc., maybe a double-roller timing chain. Head rebuild, valves, springs, etc.

When we did a dyno comparison, we only gained two peak HP. However the average gain was ten HP, which means it made a huge difference on the bottom end and mid range. :)

Personally, for bolt on mods on a stock motor, I think you'll get more bang for the buck going with the stock H/R rockers, over headers. Of course the ignition system would be my first choice, then rockers, then headers.

I wish i had 2500 dollars. i think we spent that gettin the car driveable. and i would spend that for some aluminum. if i had that much.
for now i track down 200 at local scrap heeps and build it up as funds become available.

The aluminum was out due to I did not want to put it on a non rebuilt bottom and it would take more than all the budget to get it done right. Everything I have bought will go with a rebuild later. That is why I am not sure about the rockers. I already bought the header off of Mike along with the DUI. I would like the 1.6 rockers for now but don't want to buy something that I cant use after the rebuild. With what Mike said I would buy them right now but will they be worth it after I rebuild with new cam.

Got the first shipment already but it was the NPD stuff (suspension and steering wheel). I already started taking things apart so luckily I took the before pics before the UPS driver got here. Sorry pics will be up tomorrow.

P1010098.jpg
P1010101.jpg
P1010106.jpg
P1010104.jpg
P1010107.jpg
P1010098.jpg
[/img]some weeping at the head but will deal with that when it gets rebuilt.

Well the front shocks went in fine, but like everyone elts I know I am having real problems getting out the rear leafs. I went through five saw blades and still dont have the first side out going to try again tomarrow. funny but the nuts came right off so I thought I would get lucky. I should be getting more parts in tomarrow so I would like to get the car back on the ground.

I find that a torch and a can of penetrating catalyst can do miracles to loosen stuck suspension bolts. Of course, an impact wrench is pretty handy, too.

Do you have a cutoff saw that you can borrow? I had to use one for anything I did on the rear of my car.

I have no torch here to use :( but I do have a cutoff wheel I'll try that on the second side. One down one to go. I did get more parts in but can't do anything with them. I got the carb adapter and linkage stuff, carb not due till friday. CI stuff not due till next wednesday.

Ummm :unsure: ...you might also want to invest in a good high torque starter...since you are installing headers, you will have a party trying to change it once the headers are in place...my header had a 1/16" clearance and couldn't even change my starter cable once it melted from the heat...I ordered a FE starter from Summit, cost was almost 300 bucks, but allowed me to change the clocking on the solenoid away from the header...the cool thing is that I can now remove the starter without touching the header :rolflmao:

I can pull the stock starter out without touching the CI header on my car. In fact, I can't pull the header without first removing the starter!

The springs are hung and the car rides much better but still having problems with replacing the strut rod bushings. The carb came in Friday so I put the in found that 68 carb and mounting plate was on my 69 head so the new carb will make a bigger difference than originally thought. Took it for a test drive and the difference was huge. I still need to adjust the carb some as third gear is flat but first and second were fantastic. I cant wait to put the DUI and header on.

Back