GAH A NEW LEAK

rommaster2

well after getting my car on the road, vibration solved, and aligned (tire dragged for 15 miles is no fun) i have found one last problem on it. If i park it on an incline leaning upward it leaks oil out of the back of the pan and i mean fast!!

Now obviously i know i can drop the pan again and fix it but c'mon man i just got it back togethor and aligned i don't wanna drop the sway bar and center link again :p. Thinking i might be able to get it with some rtv if i loosen the back bolts and lean it down a little, will that cause any ill effects?

Drop the pan and do it right. Sillycone will never stick to something that is not clean. Just check to make sure you got the bolts tight enough. If they are good then you got to drop it again. You will have a better chance of it sticking if you can let it sit and drain for a few days. Thats an advantage to doing it in a stand, you can have it upside down so no oil is going to drip on your new sealer while its drying.

why would dropping the center link cause it to become mis-aligned?
you gotta do it man, there's no way around it

realistically i know this, just using the pickle fork again at the really crappy angles is just no fun but it must be done. I'll do the motor mounts too while i'm at it as they're worn out then the car should drive as nice as a really stiff car can. Sometimes i question the worth of it all, then i take an on ramp and know i did the right thing.

Well i replaced it and it still appears to be leaking, so i'm assuming a bent pan which in that case does anybody know if the classic inlines pan has any problem clearing stock suspension on a 65 falcon?

It can probably be hammered straight again.
I had a pan with a bad ding that I took to a machine shop and they r&r'd it.
I was having trouble finding a replacement and needed it asap.

I'm trying to figure out how bad its leaking, and go from there. Realistically i want it to be running still, and also realistically i should get the performance pan since i plan on sliding it (lady friend is in all girl "drift" crew with 240's, would love to show them up on a track day :p) so i'll prolly be purchasing one from mike in the near future. Guess this puts the turbo off a little more money wise, but whatever thats how the cookie crumbles.

Back