Milage dropped what to do

Rinke

Hi Guys,
I've got a 170 fresh rebuilt (5000km,s since rebuilt), with a 3 on the tree 1963 falcon station.
I've got an original 1100 with lom dizzy
The carb was rebuilt by myself and a local garagist.

This is what happened:
The engine wasn't idling nicely, so I poured some carb cleaner in the tank. It worked perfect, the car idles a lot better, but the milage dropped. It sounds as if the car is idling a lot faster.
I set the idle mixture so that the engine runs as smooth as possible.
Should I start playing with the other mixture screw on the throttle/choke part of the carb?
I also replaced the pcv valve, cap and rotor (tehere was some play on the rotor).
Is it possible that the pcv is not working correctly? When I've driven for a while sometimes I can smell fumes and there is some smearing around the oil filler on the rocker cover. That's usually when I've accelerated quite a bit, as in quick city driving, or pulling onto the highway from the on ramp.
The pvc hose from carb to pvc is the only part that wasn't replaced. I poured solvent through it to see if it was clogged.
It wasn't
Could my timing be off due to the fact that my new rotor has no play?

I hope the fix is easy, at the moment I'm burning about a litre for every 5 kilometres, before it was 7 kilometres a litre.
Believe me, with a gas price of over 1,4 euro's a litre economy IS an issue :banghead:

Greetz Rinke

The mist around the oil fill seems to be fairly typical. On an 1100 the only mixture adjustment screw is the one near the carb base for idle. Other changes have to be made with jets or other modifications. There is a high and low speed idle speed screw. If you have and auto choke there is a pull off adjustment nut and then the choke housing can be rotated to make it start opening the choke sooner or later. Is the choke opening all the way?

Ok,

So I found the cause.
The throttle plate axle holes are busted.
With engine off, and fiddeling with the throttle, gas leaks from both axle ends.
With engine on this is of course a huge vac leak.
So I ordered a vaporiser carb at classic inlines
When the carb is here and mounted, I'll post an update, to see if the car will run into the 20ies for milage.

Rinke

Hah!!

Mike finally got the carb from pony.
They had a delay in supplie for the carb bases.
So hopefully the carb is already on its way to me.
Now we'll have to see how much time customs will take and how much my goverment wants for taxes.. :banghead: .
After that, I'll be ready to reduce their tax income on the fuel I'll hopefully will be saving with this carb :beer:
Typically, I spend all yesterday afternoon reconditioning an other carb I found whilst cleaning out my workshed.
Because the missus started to complain it was time my baby started to transport her and our other baby..
Oh well, This way, Ill have a spare one.

Rinke

Back