trying to decide on a carburetor for my project

mavereq

i have a 1970 bronco with a 200 in it. i've already ordered the dui from ci and an oz-250 head/intake from ausfordparts. my plan is to zero deck the block with dished pistons and mill the head to achieve around a 9.2:1 c/r and use a 264/264 duration cam and a dual outlet header.

right now i'm trying to decide which carburetor would be the best bang for the buck. the autolite 2v's seem a bit pricey and the holley 2v's are about half the price on summit. is anyone running a holley carb with any success or am i better off paying twice as much for the autolite?

if anyone is having success with a holley, which one?

i would go with the motorcraft 2100 there super cheap and on almost any thing from 390s to 300 so you can get one that meats your needs but if you dont want to go that way i have a friend that runs a holly 2bbl on his figure 8 car and does really well

yeah the motorcraft/autolite 2100's can be found easily and cheap at a junkyard. Theyre so common that you should be able to find one that is in good condition. Also you could take it to a local carb rebuilder if you wanted and still probably not have more than $150 in it.

The venturi size is stamped behind part of the throttle linkage. It will say 1.08, 1.21, etc. 1.08 = ~287 cfm and 1.21 is ~350 cfm. With your head and cam you may want the larger one. I picked up a 350 cfm but I might be better off using the 287 on my stock 200.

Hope this helps, I dont blame you for not wanting to drop 400+ for a carb.

Howdy Back Josh and all:

I'd be looking for an Autolite 1.14 from a '65 - '67 289 engine. It will be on the small side, CFM wise, for your engine, but will give better low and mid-range driveability and throttle response for your Broncho. These early 2100 Autolites may be the world's easiest carbs to rebuild. They are very durable. The annular discharge venturi boosters give great mid-range performance. The downside is that these carbs have been out of production since 1973, when they were replaced by the variable bleed 2150 (Not user friendly). Which is why Pony Carburetor is able to get the high prices for "NEW" replacements. Personally, I thanks Pony for picking up the pieces on these carbs.

The downside of the 2100 is that about the only tuning options are low speed air screws, accelerator pump setting and main jets. All else is built into (buried) the "K" cluster- which are still a mystery to those of us who have attempted to sort them out.

The Holley 2300 is a good option too- parts are easily available and they are very tuneable. The advantages of the 2100 over the 2300 are; less expensive, lighter, better bowl venting system, annular discharge venturi boosters, no gasket lines below the fuel level and super easy to rebuild. Disadvantages for the 2100 are- Parts are harder to find and less tuneable in some areas.

I like the sound of your engine rebuild plans. Keep the info coming.

Adios, David

I have purchased two carbs from Scott and am very pleased with them. He has a wide selection of carbs and has been doing this for a long time. If you need specific years or models or matched pairs, he can do that too; just ask him. He will correctly build that special carb for you. He has a large inventory to choose from. I have a .98 dia venturi 190 cfm 2 bbl carb for a '63 260 that I had him set up for me. These .98 dia venturi carbs are hard to find. I also have a 300 cfm 2 bbl for a '63 352. I believe Scott is probably the best person to buy rebuilt Autolite carbs from and at a very reasonable price. He also does some other vintage carbs, but I have never checked into them. I happened to come across him on Fleabay too. IIRC he is from Vida, Oregon. I don't think you'd go wrong purchasing from him. I wish you well.

Darrell

I have a new holley/weber 5200 (identcal to weber 32/36 dfv) for sale right now. its a remanned carb, i bought it 3 weeks ago for my toyota, but it turned out to be the wrong one.

i believe it flows 350 cfm (somebody correct me if im wrong) and its a really common conversion for near stock 200ci's.

im asking $70 + shipping(~$10) it will come with an electric choke and a standard water heated choke, so you can use either.

here are some pics of a 5200 on a 200ci
http://home.centurytel.net/fordfan/Falcon/HW Conversion01.html
(not mine)

i'm interested as long as it's a carb that i can use effectively on the setup i'm planning to run. i'll go do some research on the #. anyone have any experience running this carb on a 2v?

patrick, i got the carb in today. thanks for sending it out so quick!

i'll keep you guys posted on the build once i get underway.

:beer: In my opinion it is hard to beat the Holley 2300 350 CFM you can buy from summit. They are very tunable and easy to work on

Back