HOW MUCH ???

SIX GUN

How much HP can be maid with a small 6 without any power adders (NOS,TURBO's,BLOWER's)and does anyone here have one with alot of HP???

Whats the application, street or strip.

Generally for the street the accepted limit is 1 HP per cubic Inch, after that the car get very dificult to drive in traffic though its not unheard of.

On the strip 1.5 to 2 HP per CI, though the power band can be quite narrow.

8) how much power an engine can make depends on what you are willing to put up with, and what you want from the engine. a normally aspirated small six can make about 1hp per ci, and up to about 1.5hp per ci using the classic inlines aluminum head. these engine will have drivability issues on the street though.

SIX GUN":3cehwn4z said:
How much HP can be maid with a small 6 without any power adders (NOS,TURBO's,BLOWER's)and does anyone here have one with alot of HP???

My 206 is running consistant 14.40's @ 93-94 mph in the 1/4 with the aluminum head, 600 cfm Holley 4 Bbl, Clay Smith cam and some other go fast goodies.

I think that the last time Mike ran it through his engine dyno program it was making 185-190 hp @ the rear wheels IIRC.

I'm going to the test & tune at Osceola Indiana Friday night (weather permitting :roll: ) so I should have some new numbers then. My "Home" track (US 131) resumes points racing 8/8 so I need to get a T&T in before then.... :|

Later,

I want to know HOW MUCH hp full-race!!!! 300/400/500??? I know it an't CHEAP,I run a destroked 300 (272ci) with about 400hp to the wheels, so QUIT CRYIN!!! about money :cry: :cry:

To best of my knowledge so far no one has ever built a full tilt 200 inline six.

To get big power forced induction is almost going to be a must to over come the poor flowing log head, the CI aluminum head removes this problem.

I am building a high end 200 turbo motor. Going by what the 2.3L OHC turbo guys can get with stock heads Im guessing 360hp.

The stock 2.3L OHC head flows about 170cfm on intake. A big log head ported and polished by a wizard to within a 1/4" of its life can get close to 165cfm to 170cfm.

Most turbo 2.3L guys can get about 280hp with 16lbs of boost and low restriction 3" exhaust and lots of tweaking without actually opening up the motor.

That figures to be about 1.96hp per cubic inch. multiply by 206 and you get close to 400hp. Since a ported 200 head doesnt flow as well as a stock 2.3L OHC head, Im guessing about 90% of the 2.3L OHC head so that drops us back to about 360hp.

Add the CI aluminum head with port and polish and I think your going to blow a rod before you run out of power. Over 350hp and I think will need to start looking for 4340 forged steel bilet rods and forged cranks.

Another trick some of the 2.3L OHC guys are running on high horsepower motors are main bearing cap straps. An old trick that requires maching the backside of the main cap flat and a very strong high carbon steel "strap" is layed down on back of cap and torqued down with ARP studs.

No one has made enough power on the 200 or even 250 inline sixes to warrant those kinds of mods at this time.

SIX GUN":i26pr2jb said:
I want to know HOW MUCH hp full-race!!!! 300/400/500??? I know it an't CHEAP,I run a destroked 300 (272ci) with about 400hp to the wheels, so QUIT CRYIN!!! about money :cry: :cry:

I'm not cryin about money :) and my car sees more track time than driving time so running the numbers through several online calculators they all about agree that,

Your mustang weighs 2708 pounds and can complete a 1/4 mile in about 14.41 seconds. That means that you've got about 178.87 HP at the wheels, and about 215 HP at the flywheel.

8) mike and will did a build of a turbocharged 250 that made 323hp at the flywheel about a year ago. kelly's falcon runs high 10's in the 1/4 mile.

It's really a loaded question.

A money is no object, full race n/a 200 inline 6, i'd say look down to the argie guys, they make 300+ hp, but they are some wild motors.

it's 200 inline 6, if you ditch the crappy head and make a high spinning (6000 ish) rpm bottom end, you can make the covetted 2 hp to ci for a n/a motor. if you start forcing air in it.. double that, but shorten the life by about 1000%.

just depends how wild you want to go, and what you can afford, and how imaginative you and your engine builder are. I don't think anyone on here has tried for a crazy n/a motor with a turbo or sc is a lot cheaper. It'd be cool to see an all out screaming n/a 200 though...

SixGun, The weak link for the small six is the timing chain for the 250, with the 200 everything is available for it. It would be interesting to see what a 221 (Aus or Argentine) would be like with the new aluminum cylinder head and tripple webers.and a DUI distributor in your Falcon would run.

Mustang_Geezer I know your not cryin because your a racer, and I know if a racer needs something thay find the money (P.S.your car is pretty cool)... I know that Kelly's Falcon hauls A** but I was just thinkin that now with the new aluminum head, I thought they pull some good hp ##'s out of them... those Aussy guy are runnin in the low 11's high 10's N/A an't they??? Does anyone make a roller cam for one???

Anlushac11":2khxfblh said:
To best of my knowledge so far no one has ever built a full tilt 200 inline six.......

That was my first thought as well. Perhaps SIX GUN will be the first to explore this hitherto uncharted territory, eh?
Go for it!
Joe

Ok, that is computed with the Gonkulator, not real.
Tops for reality right now as I compute it based on build and et/mph would be Doug, Mustang_Geezer, computed 242hp at 5900 (SAE gross) from his 206cid.

I saw the "Coming Soon" 3*weber side draft intake from CI, and noted how well this 3*2v side draft has done on the Brand C six. Assuming the same improvement here is the 206cid I built on the Gonkulator and what it computed:
206cid
12.0 cr (hey, my old Spitfire ran 12.0 on the street....)
Crane's biggest F272 solid cam (I know, Crane is down right now)
272-280-108 at .050, installed 2 advanced :eek:
.678 .699 gross lift
CI head ported per CI web
CI 3*2v intake, available now, computed version only LOL. :LOL:
3*2v 40-30 dcoe webers
1-5/8 x 34 headers
Computed SAE gross
Torq 264 at 5700
Powr 354 at 7800 (hey, it held together on my computer.....)
That is with no "NOSS" or "No Fear" windshield banners or coffee-can tailpipes.
Maybe we will see when the real intake appears if this prediction is close!
:mrgreen:

SIX GUN":3747fhrn said:
Mustang_Geezer I know your not cryin because your a racer, and I know if a racer needs something thay find the money (P.S.your car is pretty cool)... I know that Kelly's Falcon hauls A** but I was just thinkin that now with the new aluminum head, I thought they pull some good hp ##'s out of them... those Aussy guy are runnin in the low 11's high 10's N/A an't they??? Does anyone make a roller cam for one???

Nope, no one in this country makes the proper cam cores although they do in Argentina. Getting them here seems to be the problem.

BTW...thanks for the compliment! ;)

Later,

Werby, I'd try a smaller cam (lift wise) maybe a Comp X-Treme energy 268 or 270 in your computer.

82f100,
For sure that is more streetable, Comp 268xe at 224-230 duration Gonkulates at 12.0cr to
Torq 261 at 4700
Powr 291 at 6400
Down 60hp with this more socially acceptable cam though that is still pretty rough for a daily driver.
This still has the (imaginary so far) 3*2v Webers and 12.0cr so it is a pretty healthy build.

But, I was trying to "max out" the 200cid with the bigger cam. Agreed, 272-280 duration at .050 is not exactly streetable in any engine let alone a 200cid! :eek:

SixGun Has a 4 speed in his Comet, which would make it a lil' more tolerable but IIRC his car is strictly a strip dedicated car.
:unsure: or you do a build up like in Mikes 69 without the turbo with a balancer from Innovators west and the timing chain fix that Does10s' has come up with(274 cu in. in a little lighter package)and to the untrained could still be passed off as a 200 :mrgreen:

Back