Won't crank when hot

67_6cyl

My car passed safety and is finally on the road and in the process of being broken in. The car runs well, the engine runs smooth and the handling is good. When the engine is cold, there is no problem with the starter cranking the engine, and it start right away. After running for about ten minutes and shutting it down and trying to restart right away, the (new) starter has a little more difficulty turning the engine over but it can still manage. After running it for more than 1/2 hr, the starter doesn't have sufficient torque to crank the engine over fast enough to start; let it cool off for about ten minutes and it can with some difficulty, but the engine can be started again.
It appears that the engine (or starter) seizes due to the heat. There is no indication of problems when the engine is operating (ie. no overheating, oil pressure good), even for extended periods. The engine has all of 400miles on it at this point (after a complete rebuild); the oil has been changed once, and with the exception of some bits of gasket, it appeared fine.
Has anyone run into this kind of problem before and if so, what was done to solve it? Will it go away as the engine loosens up?
I've installed a 6-1 exhaust header on it; the tubes run quite close to the starter motor (no contact) - could heat from the exhaust be causing the starter motor to overheat and seize up?
Thoughts?

67_6cyl":38ntu4m4 said:
....... Will it go away as the engine loosens up?

Nope.

67_6cyl":38ntu4m4 said:
I've installed a 6-1 exhaust header on it; the tubes run quite close to the starter motor (no contact) - could heat from the exhaust be causing the starter motor to overheat and seize up? .....

Yup.

Could it be your timing is set a little to far advanced?

8) if the solenoid just buzzes while you try to start the engine, then you have a problem with heat soak in the starter, and/or not enough battery power(i like to buy as many cold cranking amps as possible, but 750 works quite well with our sixes). you might also have connection issues.

if the engine tries to turn over, your ignition timing might be a bit too far advanced as well as having heat soak issues.

the starter you bought, was it in fact new, or a rebuilt?

If you're battery is at fault, I buy all my batteries from Interstate. They have 'blemished' batteries that you can buy at a fraction of the cost of a new battery with the same warranty. I got a 850ish cold cranking amp battery for $35 2 years ago. It had a scratch down the side and was missing a handle. Yanked the handle off my old battery and it's been great. Even ran it in a demo derby when I was in a pinch.

Stephen.

Lazy JW":2gccxk6j said:
67_6cyl":2gccxk6j said:
....... Will it go away as the engine loosens up?

Nope.

I've installed a 6-1 exhaust header on it; the tubes run quite close to the starter motor (no contact) - could heat from the exhaust be causing the starter motor to overheat and seize up? .....

Yup.

Has anyone run into this kind of problem before and if so, what was done to solve it?

Had this exact problem long time back...including the cool down time required to be able to restart (only w/o headers) new starter solved it.

Did you get the issue resolved? I had a bad ground cable- resistance was acceptable when cool but excessive when hot, not allowing sufficient cranking current. Too bad I found this out after replacing the battery...
Good luck!

Okham's Razor cuts again. From Britannica:

Ockham’s razor
philosophy
also spelled Occam’s razor, also called law of economy, or law of parsimony,
Main principle stated by William of Ockham (1285–1347/49), a scholastic, that Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate; “Plurality should not be posited without necessity.” The principle gives precedence to simplicity; of two competing theories, the simplest explanation of an entity is to be preferred. The principle is also expressed “Entities are not to be multiplied beyond necessity.”

Physicians have a similar maxim: "When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses, not zebras." Meaning that the simplest explanation is most probably the correct one.

ludwig":1ixyo63o said:
Physicians have a similar maxim: "When you hear hoofbeats, look for horses, not zebras." Meaning that the simplest explanation is most probably the correct one.

What if you're in the veldts of southern Africa? :unsure:

ludwig":2hg5vmid said:

Well folks, I grew up on a farm, still live on the farm, still have horses, cows, sheep, etc. and when I hear hoofbeats I figure the horses just got out of the pasture....... :p :LOL: :shock: :nod:
Joe

Back