Header questions?

Headers or not

• Yes

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

80mustang200

Ok :help: i want to get a header for my 200 and it is going to cost some cash that has taken a while to save up. Before i do this i would like to know what kind of general HP gain it would give me? Also would it sound more like a V8?

Thanks Dustin

it wont sound like a v8. the firing order, and the fact that a v8 has 2 banks of cylinders makes it sound different than a straight 6, but it will be throatier if thats what your going for. i love the sound of mine, and a lot of people would think i have a v8, but i can tell the difference. it also depends on what exhaust/muffler(s) you use. search youtube for exhaust videos of other 200's.

go to classicinlines' dyno room and look at some of the numbers there to see what you can expect.

Assuming you have nothing else done to the car, a header is not the going to do much of anything. I hope i'm not breaking any news, but if you want your car to sound like a V8, your gonna have to put a V8 in it. Establish your goals of what you want from the six, there's plenty of people here to help you out along the way to get there.

No way to sound like a V-8, but to some ears a six sounds better.
As to HP/ torque gains depends on what else is done. Just headers a small gain, exhuast gets out quicker, some scavenging, but you also need to get more in quicker --- carb, manifold, cam and light the fire better.

ok i was going for the deeper throatier sound not nessesarily the V8 but what can i do to give it some more HP i am just 16 and i wouldnt even know where to start. Buying a 2V carb would be nice but only haveing 5HP for 450 bucks doesnt seem worth it

I disagree, I think it sounds closer to a V8 then a six, or one of those rice burners. I've driven into parking lots and people walk up to me after I get out and ask what I have under the hood. If they don't first spit out a guess, I ask what they think it is. A lot of people say a 289, 302 or some even say a 350 (those people don't know much about cars) But, the point is that people hear a throaty sound, and think V8 not an in-line six. There face expressions are worth it every time, especially those chebby guys (don't write a letter).The point is that headers along with a better exhaust, whether a dual or single, you get a very V8 sound. So I say get the headers and do the exhaust. However, I will agree with everyone else you will need to upgrade the engine. Start w/the ignition (I went DUI first) then the carb, then it will match the new headers. 8)

8) headers will make the engine sound throatier for sure, along with a good exhaust system. as for power gains, not a lot, something along the lines of 5-10hp at best. you should howver pick up couple mpgs though. just remember that headers are the first step, and everything builds off that. better ignition, better head, better intake breathing, and a better cam and now you have picked up about 50hp, perhaps even 60 depending on the cam you choose. beware though to match your components carefully. if you do that you will have an engine that will run strong in what ever rpm range you decide you want the motor to work best in. choose willy nilly though and you will lose any gains you had in power, mileage and drivability.

Thad":3uif62o1 said:
No way to sound like a V-8, but to some ears a six sounds better.

I've always liked the healthy straight six sound... Particularly the racing spec Jags. I don't know if a Ford inline six could ever sound as awesome as a D type at wide open throttle, but some of the more radically built ones on this forum get pretty close.

i was looking at the ones from either cliffords or classic inlines those are the only two i know of that even sells them unless someone on here is?

Mustangs Unlimited has a cheap header for the inline six, but they are meant for early Mustangs so I don't know how it would fit on a Fox platform car. Even fitting one to my '62 Falcon was a real pain.

If you just want a better sound just change the muffler. I prefer Flowmaster other here have other preferrences. It will give you the best bang for the buck, better sound with a very modest increase in HP for around $80.

If want to increase HP as well as get better sound without digging into the engine then
install the weber 2V on an adapter about $120 from langdons stovebolt, this will give better control of the A/F ratio and better mileage as well as increas driveability
install roller tipped rocker arms from C.I. at around $465, this will effectively make the cam seem slightly hotter as well as cut down on valve guide wear
install a header fromC.I. at around $375 with a flowmaster at aroud $80, better sounding exhaust as well as better scavenging of exhaust gasses.
Total $1040 plus some misc. stuff. Pricey but you already have the DSII ignition system (much better) stock on this model. You should see any wear from 20 to as much as 35 HP gain though results can very depending on your skill at tuning the carb.

For better results you can have the head modified for dirrect mounting the weber carb. This requires you to remove the head from the car which opens up a host of other things that can be done to increase HP like changing the cam to a hotter grind.

At the extreem you could completely rebuild the engine and install C.I.'s Aluminium head, the sky the limit on cost here but some people are getting over 200HP Naterally Aspirated (NA) with these kinds of rebuilds.

So what is it you want to accomplish? You need to think long and hard then make a plan on what you want when you finish then stick to it (Street or Strip,High performance or mild upgrade, Dailey Driver or Trailer Queen). Let us know. There are lots of talented people here willing to help

After driving many Fox body Mustang's with 4cylinders, I think of the inline six Fox body cars as a 2.3L with 60 extra cubic inches. Guys are spending thousands to buy stroker kits to get to 2.8L and 3.0L.

We get the extra cubes but the engine is not as well supported. Everything is available except for the turbo header. There we have to build our own.

well what kinds of 0-60 are most people getting on natural aspirated engines that have 120hp and then what is it like for people that have 200hp if its a huge difference then the money is worth it. Right now the car is getting like 13-14 sec 0-60. Its not the fact that i am looking to race her shes just a fun toy to mess around with and keep me out of trouble and maybe show off to my friends

Dustin,
Thanks for the (guess or stopwatch?) of your 0-60 time, my computer the Gonkulator had calculated 14.1 sec for your car.
As examples from fordsix.com, Doug Mustang Geezer's car calculates to about 240hp with its aluminum head, runs low 14s and 0-60 calculates to 6.1 sec. Bill wsa111's car calculates to about 200hp (145rwhp measured) and calculates to 8.8 sec 0-60 with a ported log head like you have.
My high school car, a 429cj torino, ran 0-60 in 6 flat and was the fastest car at our school. But that was back in the smog days when all new cars were dogs.
Our 64 Galaxie convert, 390 with a/c, ran 0-60 in about 8.8.
So that should give you an idea of what could be done with your car.
I like your attitude about the hobby, even if this is a learning car it is a hobby you will never regret, just be safe!

Where to start?
In the computer, I tried a couple things that are almost "free":
* Cut the exhaust pipe and use a connector or flange so you can unbolt it at the strip and then hook it back up for the ride home.
* If it likes this, then consider a large diameter (2.5" or more) high flow cat converter (if you run one) and a 2.5" glasspack in back for exhaust for the street.
* But a loose exhaust will want richer jetting usually. So:
* Get a spare carb (a 1v, anything will do) and get it running on there as a spare. Good idea anyway.
* Then (and only then) go into your carb and learn to change the main jet. I used to do this parked on the side of the road to tune for gas mileage, about a 10 minute deal. Gotta get good with carbs for this hobby. Take your spare carb and some richer jets to the strip when you go.
* Where does the trans shift? About 3900? Try shifting about 4200.
* Make sure you know your spark timing curve, is it where you want it to be?
* The next step would get you into the engine but is still "free" just a lot of work. Some steps are like that. I'd try advancing the cam about 4 degrees. LEARN to degree a cam, either on your engine or even an engine in the junkyard. I've done it there just to get the info. There can be almost a full second 0-60 time from where you set the cam, and that's free - it just is a lot of work.

* As I calculate it (computers aren't perfect but a place to start!), the above is nearly free to do and will take over a second off your 0-60 (and take your et/mph from a calculated 19.42 at 69.3 to 18.70 at 72.6).
* NOW you are ready to spend some $$$.
* Headers and a 2v-1v adapter with either say a 1.028 Autolite 2100 or a 280cfm (at 3.0" Hg) Holley 2v (early 60s amc cars used one) or the Weber/Holley 5200 2v took about another second off 0-60 and down to 18.30s at 76mph in the quarter. That is not fast but it is respectable and you will have a lot of fun with still "only" about 138hp gross.
As you can see from reading here, there is really no limit after that, only dollars. :)

Back