Has anyone heard or done (Extrude Hone) porting on Cyl Head

JMB

An engine builder told me to check out this process (Extrude Hone) of porting the cylinder head of the inline 6 because of the fact that the intake manifold can not be separated from the head which makes porting very limited.

Here is the web site for anyone who is interested : http://www.extrudehone.com/gallery-box/ ... auto&id=66

From what they told me , it seems to be a process in which an abrasive type of clay is pumped into the intake and exhaust ports which removes all of the rough castings and leaves a smooth finish which makes the air flow through the head much better.

Has anyone done this? If yes , what is the result? Thanks in advance.

Haven't had it done but would be interested to hear results if anybody has. If i could find a local place to do it I'd prolly have it done after I ported my spare head and put bigger valves in it before i threw it on the 200 with the turbo.

Several members "looked" at doing it back in the 90s but as I remember it the cost far out-weighed the benefit. If you have a bud who works in such a place I think it may well be worth the effort. There is a lot of slag in the intake. Something else to think about is using something like a honing stone to ream through the intake. Pop the end caps off and go for it. You would still have issues at the ports/valves though,

Ron

I was quoted $550.00 from them back in 2000.

By the time you figure everything else into the equation to go with it it is much more cost effective to either go with a Aussie 250 2V head or the new aluminum head.

Later,

Mustang_Geezer":1ptm5i88 said:
I was quoted $550.00 from them back in 2000.

By the time you figure everything else into the equation to go with it it is much more cost effective to either go with a Aussie 250 2V head or the new aluminum head.

Later,

8) hmmm, the price has come down. the last time i was quoted, it was $900. either way though geezer is right, by the time you factor everything else in, you can pay a little more and end up with a classic inlines aluminum head. extrude honing does do well though in cleaning up and even enlarging the ports and intake runners, and in the old days it was all you had. not so today.

in Krautland, or commonly known as Germany, extrudehone offers their services as well.

Their price is still ridiculous, 2.500 Euros for a 200 head (that equals about 3.500 dollars)

Back