250 Build

rwbrooks50

Supporter 2021
Supporter 2018
I bought a 250 short block for $200. New dish pistons .040 over, crank .010, seal power rings, King bearing for crank and cam. See pictures @ http://craigspic.com/711/120749.

I am thinking, I should take the block apart for decking and honning. A little dirt and maybe specks of rust on the cylinder walls. I would go back with ARP bolts, 264/274 CI cam w/lifers and timing chain and tri-power, C4. 71 Maverick Grabber.

Any different ideals. Looking for mostly street and burning tires.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Yes, I have the handbook. I was wondering if I should go to the expense of new pistons and balancing.

Rick

I wouldn't worry about new pistons if the old ones look good. Balancing is not essential IMO if you don't plan on turning over 5500 RPM.

I wouldn't trust that build. Take it all apart and check everything carefully. Looks like the block was dragged behind a truck and there was a lot of rocks in the field. Should have been the builder. Sorry.

It is not really that bad. It was out in the weather for awhile. But, I do intend to take it a part for cleaning up. I want to check the deck and maybe pistons for 9:1 compression. I will add a cam with the head I think I have coming.

Rick

From the pictures, can anyone tell me what type of piston are in the block?

Rick

rwbrooks50":js210477 said:
From the pictures, can anyone tell me what type of piston are in the block?

Rick

Don't know from looking, but check the displacement of the dish. Stock dish are supposed to be ~7cc, IIRC. Wherever the machinist ordered mine from, the .030 overs all measured out to 5cc.

EDIT: Stock dish displacement is 6.5cc or 13cc. Taken from specs page on CI site.

Back