PCV Valve location

Randle2I

I did a search but came up empty handed. It's a 1963 Falcon with the 170 Straight 6. On the AutoZone website it says it's mounted inside the valve cover but unless I'm blind I'm not seeing anything in there? Any help on this would be appreciated. TIA :beer:

HI
Now the PCV valve is actual not in the valve cover it is stuck in the top of the valve cover with a hose coming out of it going to the intake or carb base... is there a tube that goes to the back of the valve cover from the carb or intake.. in the end of that tube is the PCV valve..
If there is not hole in the back of the valve cover then there is a good chance it has a road draft tube at the front of the block going down toward the ground.
good luck
tim

My '63 with the 170 did NOT have a PCV valve nor any part of a system. All mine had, as stock, was a vented breather cap on top of the valve cover toward the front of the engine and a downdraft tube exiting the block just forward and above the oil filter. This tube ran straight down the block and dumped just beneath the oil pan line. :thumbdown:

I "created" a PCV by using a TransDapt valve cover (Summit), finding a size applicable PCV grommet in the HELP! parts section at Advance Auto, and talked the counter guy into letting me go behind the counter to their PCV bin to find one that fit the grommet and my routing plan.

I plugged the block hole by making an "expandable" rubber plug with a 1/2" thick chunk of rubber, cut to the same diameter, with a 1/4"-20 flat head bolt (head to the inside so its 82deg cone would serve as a wedge), truss washer (OD a little larger than the block port) and nylock (on the outside), all tightened to seal and retain itself. Since the new valve cover had a twist-on breather port, I used a sealing twist-on cap.

I originally plumbed the PCV to a plugged port on the carb spacer. Though I found the system blew oil back through the dipstick tube. I suspect my port is clogged on the inside and haven't pulled it yet for cleaning. Instead, I replaced the PCV with a plastic elbow of the same OD and plumbed that to the air cleaner just outside of the filter. The crankcase fumes enter the breather outside the filter and pass through before reaching the carb.

Not truly a PCV system, more or less a CV system. My oil blow-by through the dipstick was cured as well as the sometimes visible crankcase fumes (downdraft tube). I further added a rubber seal inside the dipstick handle by cutting a small disc of 1/8" thick rubber, same OD as the ID of the dipstick cap, and slitted it to slide over the dipstick itself and jambed it all the way to the top of the cap. To ensure the stick stays down in the tube, I spread the expansion a little further so that it would resist more traveling up.

I did this back in November and have had no problems. (y)

I plan to rebuild the carb soon, once I pull it, I'll check the spacer. If it is clogged, I'll clean it an retry the first PCV route again.

Most 1963 engines had no PCV. As others have stated, most '63's had draft tubes coming out of the drivers' side of the block just behind the front. The tube would go below the oil pan and the suction of the moving car would ventilate the block. Clean air would be pulled into the breather cap in the front of the valve cover.

Some early engines had a "closed ventilation system" which had no Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve either. They simply had a hose from the base of the carb to either the valve cover or a fitting where the draft tube would be. Call this Massive Vacuum Leak. The breather cap on the valve cover was closed to atmosphere and had a hose to the air cleaner to suck in filtered air.

Then some of the early PCV engines had the PCV screwed into the base of the carburetor with a hose going to the back hole in the valve cover or to the location where the draft tube would be.

I think I've got them all covered here. I believe only California cars might have a closed or PVC system in '63. But Ford's have lots of variables. Let me know what you find. I'm curious.

My '64 200 has a draft tube and open breather cap.

Socar, you went to a lot of trouble I beleive to plug the hole in the block. You should have bee able to simplymeasure the hole and put in a frost plug like the factory did. .02 :)

Cool, thanks for all the info guys. My air filter is sucking oil in and I was told to check the PCV valve. I suppose that would be hard to do since there isn't one :banghead: . Given the problem what would be the next logical step to diagnose it?

Eaglo":2jps51rx said:
Then some of the early PCV engines had the PCV screwed into the base of the carburetor with a hose going to ..... the location where the draft tube would be.
That's what my '62 170 had, the pcv valve was a dinky little thing that looked more like a brass fitting.

dagenham":2b0j8axa said:
Socar, you went to a lot of trouble I beleive to plug the hole in the block. You should have bee able to simplymeasure the hole and put in a frost plug like the factory did. .02 :)
I wanted to, and still want to, install a freeze plug, but didn't have one at the time...but I had everything else...Rubber plug is still holding.

Wad of chewing gum and a clothes hanger...problem solved :mrgreen:

Just to tack onto this thread for those who have never seen an early PVC valve. My '61 Falcon was a California built & sold vehicle. It came from the factory w/ a PVC valve instead of a road draft tube. The PVC is a machined component made up of hex bar stock. Link below to image of the PVC valve (the valve is the dark component to the right of the brass fitting (also 'stock Cali '61). Second line out of the brass fitting supplied vacume to the vac pump/fuel pump. I took this paic last year when I was running the Autolite 1100 carb. Car originally had a Holley 1908 carb.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll27 ... lation.jpg

Good info - here's a pic of the old pcv my '62 170 used. It's a dinky little thing, Fram part number FV-100.
FV100.jpg

Bumping for a little bit more help. I decided to do what SoCar72 did and purchased a new valve cover from FalconParts.com along with some various parts. The problem is I'm not exactly sure where I should plug the PCV valve into. I don't seem to have anyplace on the carb spacer for it to go and I'm not sure where I would plug it into on the carb itself. Aribert has the same carb I do (autolite 1100) but it's set up differently as you can see from the pictures.

3840894728_a5ce06c91f.jpg

3840894656_2acbc7cd17.jpg

More images here

I have the port with the brass fitting but don't know what it's for? On Aribert's it looks to be a fuel line however on mine where his PCV valve is located I have the fuel lines? Can I just swap it so that it's the same? Sorry, I don't know much about carbs so excuse the ignorance, I'm learning as I go.

TIA :beer:

Sorry for the delayed clarification...
I bored a hole in the base of the air cleaner, just outside of the filter and plumbed my "PCV" to there.

The air cleaner housing is not really strong enough suction to be Positive ventilation. The valve is connected to full manifold vacuum. Its a significant vacuum 'leak' so you want to be sure its fairly even, that is close to the carb vs one end of the log. I believe on most of our cars the fitting was on the adapter plate between the carb and log. The same plate also has the heater hoses running through it. On factory setups the hose from the valve cover to the air cleaner is usually the intake side. On some models there is a filter so the hose is on the outside of the air cleaner. I assume its just in the air cleaner for emissions reasons, they dont want any stray vapors going into the air. Other models the hose goes to the inside of the air filter because that way the air gets filtered going into the system. Just having the crank case hooked to the air cleaner is more along the lines of the original draft system. My boat is like that. It looks like a PCV valve but its just a hollow fitting and there is not a second hole in the valve cover.

Oh, you're absolutely right. There is no vacuum there, hence why I've been using quotation marks. Mine is really a _CV system. I couldn't get a vacuum from the carb adapter port, I'm sure it's clogged on the inside. Once I get that cleaned out, I'll try replumbing it. But you're right, the adapter or manifold is where it should go and the photo prior of the PCV part is definitely the way to plumb it.

Just to clarify ... blocking the road draft hole and installing a later model cover does NOT allow proper ventilation! The draft tube connects to the crankcase and draws air through the breather, into the head, down into the crank and out the road draft tube. Blocking the tube and drawing across a valve cover does absolutely nothing but run fresh air across the rockers! You need to get the air through the crankcase so you either need to attach the PCV to the old road draft tube hole or put the breather on the old road draft tube and run the PCV where the breather used to be on the valve cover.

I did a retrofit on my 8BA flathead and am currently looking for the early Ford I-6 adapter elbow they used on the '64 223's for my Ford 215 build-up.

In some of the changeovers they put an adapter in the road draft tube and the PCV went there allowing the air to vent the crankcase. In the later models, either the PCV valve opening or breather opening should have a stand tube that vents down to the crank.

craigtone":3huvjcei said:
Just to clarify ... blocking the road draft hole and installing a later model cover does NOT allow proper ventilation! The draft tube connects to the crankcase and draws air through the breather, into the head, down into the crank and out the road draft tube. Blocking the tube and drawing across a valve cover does absolutely nothing but run fresh air across the rockers! You need to get the air through the crankcase so you either need to attach the PCV to the old road draft tube hole or put the breather on the old road draft tube and run the PCV where the breather used to be on the valve cover.

I did a retrofit on my 8BA flathead and am currently looking for the early Ford I-6 adapter elbow they used on the '64 223's for my Ford 215 build-up.

Funny, on any engine I've owned with PCV, crankcase gasses find their way up same holes the oil from rockers finds its way down to crankcase. All PCV does is make slight negative pressure inside engine which keeps gasses from building up. Really doesnt matter if it sucks air or crankcase gasses. Any crankcase gasses produced in the engine mix with air in the engine and eventually get drawn out. Look at any automotive engine designed after the draft tube era, by any manufacturer, with a factory PCV system and show me where such a system hooks into the block any which way??

The old draft tube engines didnt have any negative pressure, thats why the engineers tried to vent from the block in most direct fashion possible. And notice how those engines tended to sludge up much faster!

Back