Holley carb # 1946

rjseibenick

Does anyone know the CFM of the Holley single barrel carb # 1946. Was used on the 80 to 83 200 cu. in. 6 cyl. Also how can I get the venturi size of the carb . Thanks .

Post below says 195cfm (at 3.0" Hg). Same as 140cfm at 1.5" Hg.

http://www.albertpenello.com/mustang/engine.html

I am guessing 1-1/4" venturi and 1-9/16" throttle but pure guesses.
The 1946 is one of the few where the dimensions are not given in the excellent Falcon Six handbook, I am having to guess too until I get up north to peruse all our shop manuals.

Thanks for the info. Found a Holley book that says 200 CFM at 3.0 in. HG and gives the throttle bore at 1-11/16. But does not give the venturi size.

Howdy:

Hey RJS- Which Holley book did you find the specs for the #1946? We've been looking for years and would appreciate the help. The only way to measure the venturi accurately is to disassemble and insert a bearing type micrometer to get the inside diameter. If it is rated at 200 cfm I'd be guessing 1.25" venturi too. For comparison a 1100 at 1.2" rates @ 185 cfm. A 1101 at 1.29" rates @ 210 cfm.

The problem with the #1946 is that they got more encumbered with EPA stuff, each year, to meet emmissions standards. They got less tuneable and more vacuum and thermal switches. The automatic choke and air cleaner mount were also large and cumbersome. So what the carb flowed in the manufactures lab and what it was capable of on a car will be different.

I sincerely hope you can share your source for this info. We'd like to add it to a future edition of the Handbook.

Werby- If you find any manual references, please share the info. My above info is a good guess, but we'd rather not pass on guesses as fact.

Thanks for your help and for sharing.

Adios, David.

The book is HP Books , Holley carburetors and manifolds. ISBN 0-89586-433-9 . By Mike Urich and Bill Fisher. It states the 212 cfm 1940 Holley carb is 1- 11/16 throttle bore . The 1945 Holley is the same but rated at 202 cfm at 3.0 in. Hg. I have a big 1940 and its venturi is 1.386. Do not know what the 1945 is. I have a 1946 model coming and I will get the sizes for you. I have called 3 carb rebilders and they say that the 1946 has 1- 11/16 throttle bore , but they do not know the venturi size. I assume that the 1946 and 1945 have the same ventrui. My 1949 Holley from Canada , that I run in my drag racing Tempo has 1- 11/16 throttle bore and 1.308 venturi. I am wanting to use the 1946 which I hope has the same venturi as my 1949 Tempo carb. . I take off all of the emissions junk. No choke stuff , plug all of the tubes. As soon as I get the sizes will post here. Ron

Finilly got the carbs and measured the venturi and throttle bore. The Holly 1946 thottle bore is 1 11/16 same as the holley 1940 . The venturi on the 1946 is 1.298. I averaged the venturi , was between 1.295 and 1.301 depending were you measured. I took the carb apart and then measured. The Holley 1940 carb venturi is bigger thus more CFM . It was 1.352. My Tempo holley 1949 carb has the same measuements as the 1946 but has less cfm. Hope that infomation helps someone.

Do any of these carbs have an SCV? I have a 1940 on my car and find out I should be running a SCV for my LOM dizzy.

I have a Holley 1946 on my 81 Granada. I pulled the carb apart last year and installed a rebuild kit. There are few adjustments but the carb works superbly.

The add-on parts are pretty basic, vacuum pull off, idle speed solenoid, bowl purge solenoid.

Those are good carbs and run it with no problems.

LaGrasta, that carburetor you mentioned that is on Ebay looks just like my 1940 carb, but it appears to be the "non-SCV" model. There is no diaphragm on the Ebay carb, indicating that the carb on Ebay is for a 'non-SCV' carb/distributor set-up. In picture #4 on Ebay, you can see a hollow (or empty chamber) just below where the fuel line connects to the brass fitting; that is where the diaphragm for a "SCV" model carb would have the diaphram. I mention this, because I believe you were looking for the SCV model/type! (?). James

If anyone wants a spare Holley 1946, I have one off of a low miles '78 Fairmont.

Car had 50K miles on it when I bought the engine. Carb has the mfg tags on it and looks like it has never been dismantled. Only ran the carb briefly after installing the engine in the car (just to see how the engine was, never hooked up a throttle - my car had a linkage, not a cable). Carb has been siting on a shelf the past two years. Rebuild kit would be recomended.

james singleton":i8al3nud said:
LaGrasta, that carburetor you mentioned that is on Ebay looks just like my 1940 carb, but it appears to be the "non-SCV" model. There is no diaphragm on the Ebay carb, indicating that the carb on Ebay is for a 'non-SCV' carb/distributor set-up. In picture #4 on Ebay, you can see a hollow (or empty chamber) just below where the fuel line connects to the brass fitting; that is where the diaphragm for a "SCV" model carb would have the diaphram. I mention this, because I believe you were looking for the SCV model/type! (?). James

James, thnak you for your insight. In pic 4 on the right, there seems to be a mechanism that is not on my 1940. Isn't that the SCV?

aribert":zqfd16m0 said:
If anyone wants a spare Holley 1946, I have one off of a low miles '78 Fairmont.

Car had 50K miles on it when I bought the engine. Carb has the mfg tags on it and looks like it has never been dismantled. Only ran the carb briefly after installing the engine in the car (just to see how the engine was, never hooked up a throttle - my car had a linkage, not a cable). Carb has been siting on a shelf the past two years. Rebuild kit would be recomended.

I'm interested, does it have the SCV set-up? Can you post a pic or two?

No SCV - it is my understanding that the SCV only went to late '60s (that is why I run a '73 distributor). I just happened to have images of this puppy on my photobucket site. Nothing special about this carb other than the throttle shaft to body is still a tight clearance due to the low miles on the engine.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll27 ... Holley.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll27 ... leytag.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll27 ... olley3.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll27 ... olley2.jpg
http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll27 ... olley4.jpg

LaGrasta, in reference to picture #4 on Ebay, for the 1940 carb, there is no SCV diaphragm on that carb; only the empty hole/chamber where the SCV diaphragm would go "if" this were a SCV carburetor. The hole/chamber that I am referring to in picture #4 is approximately 1" to left of the brass fitting (middle of the carb) that the fuel line would attach to. Since you cannot see any threads in that empty hole/chamber, I would say that the carb on Ebay is 'not' an SCV type carb. The small diameter line that you see at the bottom left (in picture #4) is the vacumn line that runs to the distributor. James

aribert":3dlx7wx2 said:

I have a 1982 zepher how much would it be total to send it to baltimore md 21209?

aribert":29ifjk28 said:

Back