A matter of flow

stevexysupersix

Hi All,
While thinking about a cold air induction setup, I got to wondering about the 'snorkel' and how efficient it would be with the bends in it. I'm thinking that the more direct the path = more efficient the intake. Is there much loss in flow with more bends (like I'm thinkin) or is the loss minimal?
In context, I was going to try a bit of a 'ram air' set up but this will require an extra bend, post filter, over a more tradional setup. Even with the extra bend it would have less directional change than a snorkel.
Anyone got a theory / educated guess / guide to go by?

I'm no engineer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last nite. Cold air good, less bends as possible, thats why they sell aftermarket kits to replace restrictive stock setups on newer vehicles. And finally from what I've read, ram air really doesn't factor in unless doing 100 mph. The natural flow from our engines being nothing but air compressors does the job untill then. Turbo charging is a another factor entirely.

Explorer":2dq3beh3 said:
I'm no engineer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last nite. Cold air good, less bends as possible, thats why they sell aftermarket kits to replace restrictive stock setups on newer vehicles. And finally from what I've read, ram air really doesn't factor in unless doing 100 mph. The natural flow from our engines being nothing but air compressors does the job untill then. Turbo charging is a another factor entirely.

Explorer,
I hope Steve got your Holiday Inn joke. I don't know think they have them down under.

Steve,
I agree with Explorer in that the less bends the better. Bends cannot have kinks in them, full radius, and less restrictive air cleaner.

Less bends is better and you want to smooth everything out as much as you can.

You want the intakes in a high pressure area like in the back of the grill, under the front bumper or the cowl panel underneath the windshield.

I've had several cold air systems on my Mustang and they do make a measurable differance in the qtr mile and day to day driving. Especially on a 6 cylinder where the carb/air cleaner is located directly above the exhaust manifold.

Also a K&N air filter in a stock type air cleaner with a cold air intake or a K&N filter assembly with the filter type lid sealed to a hood scoop makes a measurable differance over the stock type paper element.

Later,

Doug

My Cougar does not get the fuel "boil" so much now that my cold air duct is replaced. It was a big problem this spring and early summer without it. Cool air being relative so to speak. Under hood air is way too hot.

8) as few bends as possible, but when you do have to bend the pipe, make the radius as big as possible.

stevexysupersix":33znhq40 said:
Thanks all, appreciate your input.

We do have Holiday Inn (or used to), and no, I don't get it ;)

Have a nice weekend!
It's just a stupid commercial we have in the US, didn't notice your location.

rocklord":1xi90gq1 said:
Steve,
Here are several Holiday commercials of the ones we are referring to

It was part of their "Stay Smart" ad campaign. Humorous. Enjoy.

Thanks mate, had a good laugh.

Explorer, Now I get it. Nice one

Back