What If?

MPGmustang

1K+
VIP
okay, so, umm... alright. I know that this has been asked before...

I've been thinking about a head swap to a later year 78-80, currently i have a 67 head with the smaller opening... what modifications would be involved if i went ahead with this swap?
I want to stay with the 1v carb for kicks, it just looks sexy!!

i have read/researched the following:

Carb adaptor for my 1100 vaporizor
milling of the head .075 to get the compresion ratio back up, hope

question- would i have to change my rocker arms and push-rods?

Thanks
Richard

Rocker arms and pushrods are the same, exhaust manifold/header is the same as well. If you have the small base carb you would want to get a larger carb or work out an adapter (why go to the larger head if you are going to continue to run the small carb though?).

You are correct about milling the head. That's about how much I took off and I cc:d the head to make sure it was the right amount (it was).

http://home.comcast.net/~scottwickett/mustang6/250-1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~scottwickett/mustang6/250-2.jpg

MPGmustang":3vgixh2o said:
okay, so, umm... alright. I know that this has been asked before...

Carb adaptor for my 1100 vaporizor
milling of the head .075 to get the compresion ratio back up, hope

question- would i have to change my rocker arms and push-rods?

Thanks
Richard
just drill and tap new holes for the carb.thats what i did.

mustang6":51y2strc said:
why go to the larger head if you are going to continue to run the small carb though?

to take advantage of the larger intake and log, maximizing the 1100 pony vaporizor's airflow :D

early ford fan":51y2strc said:
just drill and tap new holes for the carb.thats what i did.

did you just drill the wholes on the existing carb plate? or make a new plate to go under the carb plate?

It would be interesting to see the results of the Pony 1100 Vaporizor with the larger log and valves.
MPGmustang should see improvement in driveability and mileage with a slight HP increase.

Has anybody else done this. Getting a lot of "Why are you only doing only that?", Why not do .... instead"
I'm sure if somebody was willing to help him with $$$$, MPGmustang would consider it.

Let us know how it works.

early ford fan":23llmr6v said:
i drilled new holes in the head.it was easy drilling.

do you have a pick of how close the new studs are towards the bore?
what kind of plug did you use to make sure no shavings got in the log? I'm sure u used one..

I was thinking of using an oily rag stuffed in the bore.. should work

rocklord":23llmr6v said:
improvement in driveability and mileage with a slight HP increase

I'm hoping, also the valves were pinging for roughly 5k miles, i'm sure they are damaged... my wet/dry test came out good tho :) can't seem to get the valve test to work... i can't tell where it's escaping but it is... very easily :unsure:

Richard

I've been thinking about making a billet adaptor for this application. I posted a topic about it a couple weeks ago, but it didn't get much response, so I held off. But if there's enough interest, I'll make them. Personally, I think the Vaporizer would work well on a large log head. Surely it would be worth a few extra ponnies? Do you have a dyno shop nearby? If so, I may be willing to make the adaptor and chip in a few bucks towards the dyno testing.

AzCoupe":3swz0ynx said:
I've been thinking about making a billet adaptor for this application. I posted a topic about it a couple weeks ago, but it didn't get much response, so I held off. But if there's enough interest in them, I'll make them. Personally, I think the Vaporizer would work well on a large log head. Surely it would be worth a few extra ponnies? Do you have a dyno shop nearby? If so, I may be willing to make the adaptor and chip in a few bucks towards the dyno testing.

sweet, i must have missed that post... well i'm one that will get that adaptor :)

Mike i live @ chandler and mcqueen... ;) you mentioned a shop that did 1 hr for 120... i'm trying to get together all the funds for this... Will call shop and order the head tomorrow hopfully have it in a week.

Currently
67 head ---> 77-80 head with 1.75 intake...
LOM ----> DUI

I was hoping to get the head installed and dyno run switching the dist at the dyno shop... to see the difference... but i could run a test for a base to compare to. i havn't ran a dyno since the c-4 -> T5 conversion, would be intresting to see what was hidden in that converter and smaller log...
68 peak HP and 116 max torque... sadly i don't have that file anymore :(

Let me know if you'd like a base to compare it off of... would be good to see the difference in bore/intake/log size all take affect... then add the DUI... all this woulld be final goal of this engine :mrgreen:

Richard

I'd be very interested in dyno testing, with a baseline for comparison. I'll call my machinist today, and get him started on the adaptor. Let me know when you are ready to mill the head, as I get a discount at B&B Machine. Don't know why I forgot you were just around the corner. :oops:

Hey Mike, I'm getting a completely rebuilt 77-80 head from FiveStarEngines.com for $250, they are doing the extra milling .075 for an additional $50. It seems alright to me honestly and i thought since they are going to resurface the head anyways why not go all the way... but just out of curiosity how much would it have been through your guy? we'll be swapping heads so i won't have my core

I'll pick up the head next thursday, do you think you can get the adaptor by then? i'll try to hit a dyno on tuesday next week for a base comparison.

Now after i mill the head am i going to have problems with my pushrod length? i do have hydralic lifters but .075 is kinda far...

Thanks in advance,

Richard

Edit: i'm going to post pone this head swap till after the 30th, funds won't cut it with all the testing that i didn't initially plan.

Edit: I must post pone again as life has thrown a curve ball and taken fund money... Mike if you have/get an adaptor send me a msg, i'll buy it from you right away.

Back