Head Swap

brostang

Im working on my 66 and just wanted to know.... Is it possible to swap my head for a head off a 82 inline, whats the difference and if not ,which head should i use?(on a budget)

8) yes you can use the later head with no problem. you should mill it though to regain lost compression, about .075 should do the trick. after you do that check your rocker arm geometry, and adjust the length of the pushrods as needed.

I also have a spare 69 250 engine lying around, this has the intake manifold that can be switched. Good choice or no? Would i have to mill much on this style or can i roll with it right off the engine?

The 250 head with the removable intake is the way to go. Make sure the chamber volume is appropriate for your 200 engine. Somewhere around 52cc seems to be a good rule of thumb. I had a 250 head with 64cc chambers, but was able to get it milled down to 51.5cc.

brostang":6f6mxze3 said:
I also have a spare 69 250 engine lying around, this has the intake manifold that can be switched. Good choice or no? Would i have to mill much on this style or can i roll with it right off the engine?
All US small sixes had integral log manifolds which can not be removed (unless you physically cut them off). If it has a removable intake manifold, it has to be an Australian or Argentine cylinder head. Both are very rare in the USA, however some have been imported, so it is possible. If that's what you have, hang on to it. However, my guess is that you have a 240/300 (big six) instead, which won't work on a small six.

However, my guess is that you have a 240/300 (big six) instead, which won't work on a small six.

This is because all small six (170, 200, 250) US heads are interchangeable.

brostang":18jyfp03 said:

If you can post a picture I'm sure someone can identify what engine you have.

i checked. Its a 240 :rolflmao: Wishfull thinking i guess. There are no later model US heads with removable intake?

brostang said:
There are no later model US heads with removable intake?

All the US factory heads for the small six had the integrated intake log made for a 1v carb. There are ways to get around it like the Offenhauser 3x1 setup, grinding the log flat and direct-mounting a 2v, various 2v adapter plates, etc.

The new Classic Inlines aluminum head has a removable intake, and it has options for a few different carb or fuel injection setups. (y)

Back