GENERATOR TO ALTERNATOR CONVERSIONS

COMETGALAXIE

hey guys i have a 1964 mercury comet with a 200 staight six motor with the generator i wanna upgrade and put a 1 wire alterator but im pretty sure the brackets that are there right now wont work so i was wondering if some one can point me in the right direction on were to get the brackets that are needed for me to put in the alternator any help would be great thanks guys

I just converted my 65 comet. I made a whole new bracket but I think you can modify the existing bracket by redrilling the holes and putting a piece of pipe to fill in the difference

How do i tell if i have a generator vs alternator? Id like to do anything i can to improve the reliablity of the car so if swapping an alt on is one of those things, id like to learn about it. :D

8) there are a few ways to make the conversion, most to do with wiring, but you can either use the alternator brackets from a later small six, or you can get conversion brackets from places like autokrafters and national parts depot.

as for the wiring, you have three ways to do the conversion;

1: you can convert the generator wiring using this diagram http://www.mustangsteve.com/GENtoALT.html the changes are simple

2: you can get a one wire conversion kit for ford alternators up to 60amp. this kit includes a wire that allows you to keep the indicator light if you wish. i did this one with my 64 falcon. you will have to use the above diagram as a reference as to which wires can be eliminated, and which ones need to be used for the conversion. feel free to pm or email me with any questions regarding this conversion.

3: if you need a high amp output alternator because you have an electric fan and/or a thumping stereo system, you can use the 3G ford alternator or the powermaster alternator(you can get them from summit racing). there are diagrams available for converting the 3G to work with older cars, i have a couple of articles for the swap, though i have not done this conversion myself, yet.

when doing a conversion like this, make sure you understand the wiring before you cut and splice any wires to prevent any minor issues, like the car burning to the ground due to an electrical fire, from popping up.

as for determining if you have a generator or an alternator, if you have what looks like a gm A6 a/c compressor with wires coming out the back end hung on the side of your six, you have a generator. if you have something half that length you have an alternator.

I think mine may be an alternator, but im not sure. Looks exactly like an alternator, has the hot post + 3 smaller posts though, which i found wierd. Theres also a box on the other side of the car thats apparently a voltage regulator and goes with the stock generator? As far as i know its all original and i have no electrical issues with the car, other than it being dim at night.

Bradbutlernc":gff17yvx said:
I think mine may be an alternator, but im not sure. Looks exactly like an alternator, has the hot post + 3 smaller posts though, which i found wierd. Theres also a box on the other side of the car thats apparently a voltage regulator and goes with the stock generator? As far as i know its all original and i have no electrical issues with the car, other than it being dim at night.

Some alternators have more than 1 wire. From what I have read there are, in fact, some advantages to the alternators with more wires. Check the article linked below for more info.

ONE-WIRE compared to THREE-WIRE alternators

They also suggest you read this article as well.

REMOTE VOLTAGE-SENSING

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I do get the sense that these folks really know their stuff.

:)

Whatever route you choose to take, it is very important to upgrade the wiring with heavier wires. Bear in mind that the factories mass produced these vehicles with profit foremost in their minds; they used the SMALLEST (cheapest) wiring they could get away with, the stock wiring was barely adequate when it was new and now it is DECADES old. That stuff does not improve with age, and the corrosion monsters never sleep.
Joe

Lazy JW":2e7yoizc said:
Whatever route you choose to take, it is very important to upgrade the wiring with heavier wires. Bear in mind that the factories mass produced these vehicles with profit foremost in their minds; they used the SMALLEST (cheapest) wiring they could get away with, the stock wiring was barely adequate when it was new and now it is DECADES old. That stuff does not improve with age, and the corrosion monsters never sleep.

Good advice.

I upgraded all my wires today to high strand 4 gauge stinger wire, and what an improvement i noticed in cranking. Turns over alot faster and the lights seem brighter and everything. Heres what i did

Hot wires -

Battery - Alternator
Battery - Solenoid
Solenoid - Starter

Grounds -

Alternator - Block (little post on the alt grounds out same place as the batt)
Battery - Block
Block - Chassis (not factory but i added it, helps alot with current transfer.)
Starter - Chassis

Id highly reccomend this to anyone, as my stock wires were in absolutely terrible shape. And if youre not sure you need to upgrade, remember this : Current flows over the surface of wires, look at the surface of yours and im sure they look terrible. Mine were black and the shielding was cracking off.

Bad grounds do cause a lot of mystery electrical problems. Over the years, I have learned to make sure everything is grounded together, and on that line I would also add to your list Block or chassis to body and in the case of a pickup chassis to bed.

Fred

Back