I'm a little bit puzzled by my Sprint 200 Engine

So I bought my 1966 Mustang a few years back and I'm just now getting around to reworking the engine. I'm a little puzzled by a few things on it. There are two ports on the exhaust manifold that arent usually there. Secondly, the valve cover is fitted for a flat oil cap and its supposed to have a press on chrome breather cap. I'm starting to think this is not the original engine. Anyone have any idea what this may have come from?

200-6x2.jpg

exhst-man.jpg

I just purchased a 66 200cid engine and the exhaust manifold looks nothing like that.

The Sprint option on the Mustang included a chrome aircleaner top with a blue bottom, chrome valve cover, and pressed on chrome breather cap.
These items are easily replaced if you want to keep that option.

Check the casting numbers on the head and block. With these it would be easier to determine what vehicle the engine was built for.

You have the later model valve cover with what appears to have a rear breather and front PCV setup. These were on many cars from the 70's. Just change it out. The 2 studs that attach the manifold to the head are for a throttle bracket setup used starting in 1969. I have no idea on the exhaust ports.

I guess I should have mentioned that in the one picture, the valve cover is sitting on the engine backwards. I just threw it on there for the ride. The PCV would still be in the rear and oil cap in the front. I'm going to re-check the numbers when I get home, using the decoder. I'll let you all know what I come up with.

kukm66":z02fy9yk said:
The 2 studs that attach the manifold to the head are for a throttle bracket setup used starting in 1969.
On later models they were used to hold the heat riser shroud that sent warm air up the pipe to the air cleaner intake snout.

As it turns out, the block casting number starts with D8BE. So, it was built in 1978 but I'm not sure what the B stands for. Either way, the question has been answered. This is not the original engine.

The extra port in the manifold is for EGR. I am assuming by the mid 70's pretty much every engine sold in the USA had one.

There are two extra ports on the exhaust manifold.
The rear one would go to the EGR spacer under the carb, and the one in the middle goes to the thermactor, or AIR pump system, which loops up and around to the other side of the air cleaner.

Back