REAL BAD OIL LEAK PLEASE HELP

COMETGALAXIE

hey guys so the comet has been leaking oil real bad i think its the rear main seal i went under the car today and there is a space were u can see the fly wheel right were the engine n tranny meet and thats were the oil is coming out from am i right when i say rear main seal or can it be something else some one please help thanks

8) could be the rear main seal or the rear pan seal. either way you have a job ahead of you. it is also possible that an oil galley plug is leaking.

imma go under the car again n see if i can get in there and see whats leaking its real bad tho as soon as the car starts oil comes out

I recently put a 250 in my Bronco and it runs great but had a major leak at the rear main and within a few weeks the front seal began to leak. A friend suggested a can of stp oil treatment, advising to add it while engine was warm then go drive for about 30 minutes. I do not normally use engine additives other than Mystery Oil but decided to try it. It works great. I should drive again today to check but last time the leak was pretty much stopped. I learned a good lesson. When I installed this engine it was clean all over no signs of leaks anywhere but when out of the vehicle replace the seals and and you don't have to pull the engine later to fix. I was doing a engine upgrade from a 200 and trans upgrade with suspension and body lifts and DSII among other things and just got in a hurry. It's those details you overlook that can turn into problems. As far as I know stp treatnent does not create any problems but someone on here might know otherwise. Good luck with your situation.

ok guys so i went to autozone and bought some barrs rear main seal and stop leak imma pour it in the comet today and run it and see what happends wish me luck guys

the value of STP is to thicken your oil, which in a tired engine is the difference between a knock and a smooth-sounding engine. never heard of it being used to stop leaks, but a thicker oil leaks less than a thin one. i'm a firm believer in the stuff

I have a similair problem and thought I'd ask if yours is a stick or auto?

The reason i ask is cause i'm like 90% certain mines not a rear main seal that its the rear pan gasket but I've changed that twice. The reason i'm sure of that is that the oil doesnt leak down behind the plate that seperates the bellhousing from the engine, it only leaks on the engine side. Also i dont have clutch slippage. Mine also only leaks when the car is stopped.

I assume this means pan gasket but if anyone could inform me otherwise with proof i'd love to hear it cause i need to get this thing fixed with minimal downtime as its my dd.

also check the valve cover gasket..my was leaking on the back of the valve cover..oil would run down the back of the engine..

Back