Roller Cam for the 200 inline 6?

Thearetically yes its possible because they do it in Argentina but realistically no its never been done in the States to my knowledge.

Lots & lots of talk about it but no results (pictures) have ever been posted from anyone in the United States.

Later,

Doug

8) this is one of the things that azcoupe and clay smith(his cam supplier) are looking into.

Mustang_Geezer":3gdh65kb said:
Thearetically yes its possible because they do it in Argentina but realistically no its never been done in the States to my knowledge.

Lots & lots of talk about it but no results (pictures) have ever been posted from anyone in the United States.

Later,

Doug

As Doug has mentioned, yes in theory it can be accomplished. Making the camshafts is the easy part. I had someone that was going to contribute a shortblock so I could develop the components needed to complete the rest of the roller package, but has failed to deliver as of yet. In putting a package together like this, even the seemingly most insignificant pieces need to be thoroughly checked and tested for compatability and durability. The last thing anyone wants is something that is prone to breakage or short life. So once the pieces are accumulated for a complete roller setup, then some exhaustive testing is going to be needed to make sure they will provide the expectations to those that purchase them, as far as a long trouble free lifespan.

Not necessary to re-invent the wheel better to improve it.
We had an Argentine member for a while, maybe contact him and ask him or get one of our fluent Spanish speakers to contact someone involved in Falcons racing in Argentina. Argentines love to share. Google will list a few of them.
Racing would have proved the concept/ process/ pieces. Check it out maybe possible to improve or economics may be better to import.

ie:"http://www.pasiontc.com.ar/" "http://www.todofalcon.com.ar/"

I have spoken to an Argentinian board member on here, and he doesn't seem to be that knowledgeable of these engines in question that originate down there. I thought for sure as others have pointed out, that Mike has been looking into this for some time now, and he should have a the very least already bought one of the engines from Argentina by now to figure it all out. That would be the easiest scenario, since the small six seems to be were the bulk of that interest lies for the solid roller/hydraulic roller conversion. Maybe he already knows all of these answers and just isn't saying, so if someone else wants to jump in and figure it out, it won't compromise all the research he already has invested up to this point.....maybe. Im just saying that the technology already exists and is being done in Argentina, so why, if the interest appears to be there, and this has been researched by Mike for several years now, are there no answers yet. I've cracked much harder conversions that had no prior existing components or technology. It seems pretty cut and dry to me.....am I missing something

the problem with roller cams is locating the roller lifter. the new fords use a hydraulic roller lifter thats similar to to old ones. the engine block is inverted and a broach ( keyway slot) is cut into the block. a roller lifter from an FE ford engine is then side drilled and a hardened pin is pressed in. the block is assembled with the lifters in first, then the cam. oil will follow the slot and keep the pin lubed. the 4.0 v6 uses a similar design. no magic, just bucks!

That method would work for a solid roller lifter, but for a hydraulic roller lifter, the keyway broached into the lifter bore will bleed off all the oil pressure needed to pump the lifter up with, therefore making it remain in a collapsed condition. Plus, a more economical solution, such as the OEM version of the Argentinian engines, that will allow a "drop in" conversion to take place is hopefully a more viable solution.

unless you can machine out the top of the lifter bore area for tie bars, but that would weaken an already weak block. most argie engines i've seen drill a hole through the side of the block and install a pin to locate the lifter!

Ok, its been my understanding that the Argentine engines come OEM with this set-up, is this not true, or is it a mod thats done by racers or performance enthusiasts. Do you have any links or pics of these engines showing these mods. Thanks.

as soon as my block is done, i'll post some pics. comp cams have the lifters, and the pins are being drilled. i had an old motor with the same design, it's the cam, that costs. 5 billets for $1000.

How much horsepower and torque gain can we expect from a Roller Cam?

Aside from power gains , what other advantages or disadvantages (if any) does it give?

Will it make an engine last longer? Thanks.

JMB":2plp1tft said:
Will it make an engine last longer? Thanks.

Yes. Plus faster opening and closing rates make for more area under the curve, yet easier to live with. No disadvantages that I know of except price.

I thought I read somewhere that someone had come up with a bronze sleeve with a key way tab or ridge cast inside.

The lifter bore in the block was honed out and then the bronze sleeve was pressed in and the roller lifter inserted and it rode on the key way inside the sleeve.

Just a thought, but instead of a wheel why not a ball, then it wouldn't matter if the lifter turned.

Then you've lost the load-distribution capability of the roller and it would quickly grind a groove in the cam.

Anlushac11":2wwnqog3 said:
I thought I read somewhere that someone had come up with a bronze sleeve with a key way tab or ridge cast inside.

The lifter bore in the block was honed out and then the bronze sleeve was pressed in and the roller lifter inserted and it rode on the key way inside the sleeve.
Jesel offers them, but get ready to set your satchel down, there very pricey :shock:

CNC-Dude:

Speaking of expensive (but certainly interesting) valve train parts, have you looked at the Schubeck Racing site and their "Roller-X" lifter? Pretty neat stuff! They have designed a new [mechanical] roller lifter that eliminates the traditional roller, axle, and needle bearings. Those components are replace by a solid roller (or wheel) that rides in a "wheel well" in the lifter body on a thin film of oil. This apparently eliminates the potential failure of the needle bearings, and so the lifter, and then the really bad stuff that happens shortly after that. I'm not sure if roller lifter failure is a big problem (it may well be - particularly in endurance racing applications) but any valve train failure can be very expensive and, at some level, is probably worth avoiding. The only problem is the cost - particularly for a new technology piece.

Somewhat off the topic but an interesting bit of related engineering.

Russ

Back