Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Royal purple

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Valvoline

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • other high performance

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
8) the only one i have not used is royal purple mostly because it is rather expensive.

ive used it before its a very good oil i felt a little more power when i used it prob because it has microscopic fibers which improves sealing but i dont use it because my motor blows alot of oil out the evac port and it gets expensive but i like Quakerstate Q high rpm cuz it has a higher heat handling

A year ago I switched to Castrol Syntec (5W50). Made a big difference in start up noise reduction and the engine smoothed out a bit as well.

AMSOIL Synthetic 20W-50

Motor Oil is specially formulated to provide superior protection and performance in a wide variety of demanding applications. By incorporating high-quality synthetic base stocks and a superior high-zinc additive package.

More info is here.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/aro.aspx

If interested in buying pm me.....

Bill

hotrodbob":1x7ab5v8 said:
I would prefer to use Amsoil. It's just a pain in butt to find since it's not sold in stores.

I will agree. What I do is just order it by the case and have it shipped to my home, when I get low I just reorder it, that way when I find it time to change oil I don't have to run around getting oil and filters. I use it in all my cars and truck.

Bill

Used it in an SCCA H/Prod Sprite. Man it worked so much better then dinosuar oil. Gained 5 lbs at race temps and cut wear on the rod bearings to almost nothing. We would have to change bearings after each race before Amsoil. After the change to Amsoil we could go 3 - 4 races and then only changed them cause we couldn't beleive there was no wear.

Two oils that are highly targeted towards these engines is Joe Gibbs Hot Rod Oil and the different flavors of Brad Penn oils, both also have excellent break in oils, I'm using brad penn break in oil and brad penn 15-40 because of the extra clearance we put in the main and rod bearings, I used to think some of the diesel oils were the way to go, but not so, diesel oils are made for a large bearing surface and soot caring ability, gas engine oil has a much higher bearing shear protection because of the smaller bearing surfaces in gas engines.

One other thing to remember in oils today, is if it is recommended for all applications it does not have the proper levels of ZDDP in the oil which has yet to be duplicated are replaced as the best additive for flat tappet cam wear, because it is not compatible with a catalytic converter at the levels necessary to be helpful.

Also I don't remember the amount or percentage of ZDDP can be in oil, but the amount that is allowable will not last the extented life that some motor oils claim, because ZDDP is a sacrificial additive that dissipates with mileage.

10w30 Valvoline conventional with a bottle of crane breakin lube added at every oil change to replace the ZDDP not found in standard oils.

Senior science class ('60) took a field trip to the City Service (CITGO) oil refinery complex outside Lake Charles, La. One of the areas visited was the lube oil cannery. Five lines, liquid to can to box. Each a different major brand. Guide said the oils were all the same base with different additives per customer's recipe.
How much of this process is still being used to day? Every wonder why gasoline truck no longer have brand marking? once when driving past the FINA refinery at Port Authur, Tx. Gasoline truck pull out in front of me, had to follow traffic kept me from passing. No problem about 6 miles down the road he pulled into a Mobil station to off load. ;)

Back