200 six build. Feasible?

FordMan1988

My Girlfriend's dream car is a 65-66 Mustang Convertible. In a couple years when she graduates from college We are going to try to find one to restore. She really got to wanting it when I got my 67 coupe. I planning on using a big 300 six and a 5 speed, but she needs something subdued and calm. So If we can find one (Id like to get it for her as a graduation present, but I have only seen two for sale lately) Im thinking about going with the original 200 six, mild cam, headers, and Holley TBI. Is 150hp (maybe 175) feasible with this engine? And has anyone here used fuel injection? Im just looking to build a solid reliable engine that can cruise along at 70 and pass a car going 55. I want to use fuel injection for reliability. Auto trans, we have not had very good luck with the learning to drive a standard thing (She about scared me to death!)

8) check out our fuel injection forum for information on converting to efi, there are a number of good ideas. as for getting 150hp from a 200, yes it is possible just select your parts carefully. classicinlines is getting into redoing heads with better performance in mind for budget builds, or you can step up the the aluminum head when he gets a new supplier.

rbohm":3awlxbum said:
8) check out our fuel injection forum for information on converting to efi, there are a number of good ideas. as for getting 150hp from a 200, yes it is possible just select your parts carefully. classicinlines is getting into redoing heads with better performance in mind for budget builds, or you can step up the the aluminum head when he gets a new supplier.

I been doing a lot of reading there. Im just looking to making a nice cruising car, she dont need a lot of power. I mostly want to stay with an original size engine but modernize it for efficiency and reliability.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60548

Read the first two posts in that topic I made recently as I think it will help you decide which way to go.

Also, do yourself a favor and don't forget about the age of these cars. I'm sure you are thinking about safety as well so don't forget to redo everything in the suspension of the car.

Positively Ralf":2phbbmy8 said:
http://fordsix.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=60548

Read the first two posts in that topic I made recently as I think it will help you decide which way to go.

Also, do yourself a favor and don't forget about the age of these cars. I'm sure you are thinking about safety as well so don't forget to redo everything in the suspension of the car.

O yes. I will take the body off the chassis and rebuild everything. Just like Im about to do with my 67.

Just FYI, nothing unreliable about a carb'd engine. People get freaked out about them. I would challenge that a carb is easier to use than an EFI engine. Sure, every 3-4 months, based on season changes, I have to readjust the idle mix a little but that's about it. If something goes wrong with a carb, it's usually easy to get it to run, even if it's rough, to get home. SOmething goes wrong on an EFI...and you are waiting on the towman.

My wife has no problems with the carb. It starts up every morning like a champ.

With a little work and upgrades, cruising at 70 isn't a problem and passing at 55 isn't a problem. My set up can pull very well at most speeds. I don't drive much above 70, but that's only because I don't like driving an old car that fast. But in 5th gear at 70, the car can still pull very well.

everything ive read about the 300 says its gas mileage sucks.you may want to concider a 250 instead.btw i see 300s on craigslist weekly.you might look there.

early ford fan":3k5kamxr said:
everything ive read about the 300 says its gas mileage sucks.you may want to concider a 250 instead.btw i see 300s on craigslist weekly.you might look there.

I already have the 300 for my 67. and its a weekend car, so Im not too worried about mileage. Now If I can find a convertible for my GF that will be different. Id like to make it efficient, hence the smaller engine.

A 250 might be a better choice for you as you could use an AOD behind it. Then cruising at 70 would be no sweat. (y)

: :D There was a company a few years back that made a kit to convert the hard top into a convertible. The kit was very complete and was in one of the Mustang magazines. They even did a step by step showing how the kit was installed. That might be the way to go as hard tops are not as had to find. I'd go with the 250 as you can fit a C-4 with a gearvender unit or an AOD behind it.
As far as teaching someone to drive a stick. This is what I did with my sister and my late wife. Have them just work the clutch,brake and gas. You work the shifter. That way they get use to the clutch and gas working together. Also makes it easier for them when stopping and downshifting. Once she has that learned she can move on to learning the shifter. I did that with my sister on the road over 30 years ago when moving my folks out to arz. from Ill. I was the only driver that could handel a stick and she wanted to help share the driving. She learned in a Walmart parking lot in Ar. and help do the driving the rest of the way to Arz. . Give it a try it's worked for me.
Dutch :D

Also, teach her to keep her clutch foot heel on the floor and work it as a pivot instead of trying to control it with her whole leg; this offers slower, more precise engagement and disengagement of the clutch, the number one issue for most shiftless people.

Eric Rose":2zhto2wb said:
A 250 might be a better choice for you as you could use an AOD behind it. Then cruising at 70 would be no sweat. (y)
actually 250s and 300s have the same bellhousing pattern.i like the 250 because its much lighter.

Dutchtreat":3s2y8044 said:
: :D There was a company a few years back that made a kit to convert the hard top into a convertible. The kit was very complete and was in one of the Mustang magazines. They even did a step by step showing how the kit was installed. That might be the way to go as hard tops are not as had to find. I'd go with the 250 as you can fit a C-4 with a gearvender unit or an AOD behind it.
As far as teaching someone to drive a stick. This is what I did with my sister and my late wife. Have them just work the clutch,brake and gas. You work the shifter. That way they get use to the clutch and gas working together. Also makes it easier for them when stopping and downshifting. Once she has that learned she can move on to learning the shifter. I did that with my sister on the road over 30 years ago when moving my folks out to arz. from Ill. I was the only driver that could handel a stick and she wanted to help share the driving. She learned in a Walmart parking lot in Ar. and help do the driving the rest of the way to Arz. . Give it a try it's worked for me.
Dutch :D

I looked everywhere online for a kit like that, I couldnt find one. I read on other forums about them, but when I went to the makers they mentioned I couldnt find them.

Back