Decking the block?

paulzox

How can you tell if a block has been decked without taking it to a machine shop?

I was told the engine was rebuilt about 3 months prior to pulling it out of the car. It looks really good i am just trying to figure out compression before i send the head to the shop. Head was just just redone as well but i want to increase valve size.

I have know reason not to believe the guy i got it from seeing he had 4 classic mustangs one being an original gt500 hand me down (numbers matching) and three others (not gt500) getting restored.

Please advise

Pull off the head.
Clean the top of the block where the head gasket was real good.
Rotate the crank until piston in cylinder number 1 is at top dead center (TDC).
Lay a straight edge across the top of the block over cylinder number 1.
Use a feeler gauge to measure the gap between the piston and top of block, along the edge of the piston, along centerline of the crank.
Do the same thing on a couple more cylinders to see if you get the same reading.

If you don't want to do all this, take it to a machine shop.

paulzox":upvlgquf said:
How can you tell if a block has been decked without taking it to a machine shop?

I was told the engine was rebuilt about 3 months prior to pulling it out of the car. It looks really good i am just trying to figure out compression before i send the head to the shop. Head was just just redone as well but i want to increase valve size.

I have know reason not to believe the guy i got it from seeing he had 4 classic mustangs one being an original gt500 hand me down (numbers matching) and three others (not gt500) getting restored.

Please advise
To tell if the block has been resurfaced before/recently, you should be able to look at the finish on the decks surface, and see the rotary broach marks indicating a fresh surface.

Back