autolite 1100 carb...still leaks.

RyanCorpse

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/ryancorpse/2010-02-04201625.jpg

Underside of the autolite 1100 carb. with an auto choke. Broken hot choke line so I adjusted the auto-choke til the valve on top was nearly closed.

The drops form around the spring and plastic washer.

Thinking it might be the float since the gasket became a bit wet with gas.
Might be the fuel bowl over filling?
Not sure which angle to attack this problem.

Engine was running nice after the rebuild, it was a beauty.

Hi,

Check if the throttle shaft is still sealing properly.
My old 1100 was leaking like h#ll and had a very bad milage.
When the engine was off fuel came out of the shaft at both ends. When running I had a very big vac leak.

Problem solved with a vaporiser from pony.

Good luck,

Rinke

8) something else to check;

make sure you properly tightened down the screws that hold the top in place

and make sure that the screw holes are not stripped(i ran into this problem on an old 1100 where there were three stripped screw holes. it was amazing that i didnt have a larger fuel leak than i did.)

RyanCorpse":z7ba37qx said:
Broken hot choke line so I adjusted the auto-choke til the valve on top was nearly closed.

I would actually set the auto choke the other direction (fixed/wired open), until you have time to fix the choke tube properly (good to adress proper choke operation as soon as you can...it can kill fuel mileage). This will make for harder cold starts but will keep it in a normal running position (and will be easier to make idle & mixture adjustments once the engine is up to normal operating temperature). If you adjust the auto choke around till it's almost closed when cold that is normal for a properly working choke...but too much tension and it can take ALOT longer for the 'heated' auto choke to open even when it's working correctly...or it may not even come off partial choke (again, when working correctly...which I understand yours is not right now).

Excess tension keeping the choke butterfly closed will create a very rich condition and could explain the excess full leaking around the throttle shaft. You're correct to be concerned about the float/needle valve when you mention the fuel bowl could be overfilling. Improper float setting could cause fuel bowl to over fill, as well as gunk/debris at the needle/seat could cause the fuel bowl to overfill. It's also possible that the throttle shaft is worn and you need a bushing between it and the carb housing (but not the first thing I'd address unless it were really sloppy there where you point out the leak in the pic).

I'd wire the choke open or fix the heat tube<<<even better. Make sure you have a good inline fuel filter to keep finer debris out of the bowl (I run a clear type paper filament filter ahead of the stock 1100 inline filter). Take the top off the carb and clean the needle/seat and check the float for proper adjustment. Then she how she does.

what about changing over to a manual choke? I have header pipe and copper tubing wrapped around it and connecter to the carb. Cannot get it to stay runing so am in process of changing over to manual choke.

Alright, just put it back on. The only adjustment I've done to it was lower the float...

I think it was 1 16/32...which means 1 1/2 inch, right? err....right?

I also opened the air valve wide open. Moved the fast idle screw a bit...

Anyways, now the engine won't turn over. I think I'll open it up and find the sweet spot tommorow. The leaks are gone, however.

RyanCorpse":3au68kc2 said:
I also opened the air valve wide open.

Okay, I probably should have suggested this with more caution. Depending on ambient temperatures, wear on engine, having the choke 'fixed' open cannot only make for more 'harder' starts, but dang near impossible to start w/o choking (ie sufficiently cold temps and worn rings).

So let's backup a little...you double checked the float setting
RyanCorpse":3au68kc2 said:
I think it was 1 16/32...which means 1 1/2 inch, right? err....right?
I think that may be a bit too low...1 3/32" is what they show here (which is a little less than 1 1/8"...fomoco shop manual says 1.090" which is about the same):
http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manu ... ntData.jpg
Too low of a float setting and the fuel won't fill the bowl high enough to reach the main jet properly.
Be sure NOT to try to bend the tang on the float while it is in place with needle-valve attached...this can damage the needle-valve...better to take the float in/out and make adjustments to the tang. After you've got the float set to the correct height, make sure the bowl is clean of debris as well as the seat for the needle valve, then reassemble.
This diagram may be helpful to make sure all the ball check's are in place that are key to proper operation of the 1100.
http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manu ... odelF1.jpg
Now's as good a time as any to make the preliminary idle mixture adjustment (see screw 49 in diagram above). You want to turn this screw clockwise until it lightly seats (don't over tighten or you'll damage the idle air bleed channel/orifice). After lightly seating, back it out about 1.5 turns to start.
Now proceed with these two adjustments:
1. Fast Idle Adjustment (Automatic Choke)
2. Choke Valve Pull-Down Adjustment
This should get you in the ballpark to get it started, but stop and adjust the choke/butterfly back to where it is almost closed and make sure the throttle plate (bottom of carb) is also closed before doing this (ie fast idle cam & screw not engaged)...I'd leave the three screws loose that hold the auto choke spring housing to the carb...see below (you want to do this on a cold/room temp carb or cooler...not one that's been sitting in the hot sun).
If you can get her started, you may need/want to adjust the idle mix screw mentioned above by turning it out slowly, then in slowly, then back out till you get the most steady idle. You may also need to adjust the rpm or curb idle screw just above the fast idle screw on the throttle arm (let us know if you have difficulty identifying the three screws that require adjustment).
Once you get it running and as it starts to warm up, you can manually adjust the auto choke spring housing to open the choke/butterfly until it is fully open...this will allow you to make the idle mix & rpm/curb idle adjustments above at normal operating temps.
Lastly...it's time to fix the auto choke or you could convert to manual as suggested. But again, cold enough temps on a moderately worn engine can still be very tough to start, excessive choking can hurt mileage, etc. etc. You might be able to get away w/o running a properly operating chokes in some strictly warmer climates...but it's bound to be inconvenient.
Hope this helps!

Ton's of good info, there. Thanks for the help! I'm glad rbohm introduced me here.
I live in Los Angeles so it's always warm here.

1.090 inches....what? Is that like 2.76 centimeters?

Am I measuring from the inside-top of the bowl to the bottom end of the float with the top of the carburetor upside down

or

measuring from the brim of the top half of the carburetor to the bottom end of the float with the top of the carburetor upside down?

RyanCorpse":3vw7nc9d said:
1.090 inches....what? Is that like 2.76 centimeters?
LOL...welcome to the hobbie/obsession/craziness....tomaeto...tomahto

This sounds right if I'm following your description...
RyanCorpse":3vw7nc9d said:
measuring from the brim of the top half of the carburetor to the bottom end of the float with the top of the carburetor upside down?

Here is a pic:
http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manu ... stment.jpg
And a couple other links to help you navigate the other lilnks

http://www.carburetor.ca/carbs/tech/Ford/1-barrel.html Carb Dr Site/link: tech info is under highlighted word "here", under "Manuals"
http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/manu ... ndexf1.htm (TOCM index page for the 1100 scroll down to bottom of page for adjustment links)
Good luck, and keep us posted (y)

8)
Awesome, I got it running!

I adjusted the float and the choke.

I took it out for a spin around the block a couple of times! It was cool all the way through!

I GOT PICTURES!!!!!!!

Anyways, this damn carburetor still leaks.

The leaks are at the same spot, however, the gaskets are in OK condition except the one that goes on the intake manifold since this leak spills and works its way over right on it.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/ryancorpse/100_6144-1.jpg

Also, notice that plastic thing is CRACKED. Not very safe at all.

Here's a view of it on the opposite side. I found another leak!!!

I don't think a repair kit has the parts to fix this leak...

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/ryancorpse/100_6147-1.jpg

And for the bonus content...here's pics under my hood

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/ryancorpse/100_6136.jpg

and the side of my mustang.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a307/ryancorpse/100_6139.jpg

snooch. :chill:

Congrats Ryan on getting it running again (y)

Usually when I've seen fuel leaking around the throttle plate shaft like that (front & rear on yours), I would suspect a vacuum leak, or a car that's dumping a whole lot of fuel (a sufficiently worn shaft assembly could be the source of both). It is possible to install/replace bushings and make a tighter seal between the throttle shaft and carb body, but if your source of fuel dumping or vacuum leak is somewhere else...you could still see weeping there even on a tight fittting throttle shaft assembly.

But you're right...that is not safe! Maybe it's time to consider finding another core/carb to rebuild. A couple questions though....

Q:What's the code on your head?...that carb spacer doesn't look like it lines up exactly right (could be optical conclusion) and wondering if someone changed the head...should start with a 2 digit letter-number combo (C6...D3...E0...etc.)

Q:What are your plans for the car? (keep it stock, mild upgrades, big upgrades) If the head has been changed this might also be a time to consider other carb options depending on your plans...although I think the 1100 is a very reliable/user friendly carb if you've got a good core to start with.

Keep in mind alot of the 1100's were designed to work with the Load-o-matic dizzy that you appear to still have (based on the plumbed vacuum line to the dizzy). They're a matched set.

You should consider picking up a copy of the Ford Falcon Performance Handbook: http://falconperformance.sundog.net/
It's the must have for maintaining/tweaking/hopping-up the ford sixes. There's lots of great info in the classicinlines.com tech section as well.

Oh yeah, and as far as the current leak...I'd be concerned that broken plastic cam on the throttle shaft could be contributing to the issue...it definitely could cause issues for your accelorator pump...which is what it links to on the driverside of the carb.

Q:Lastly...is this an automatic? (I noticed the vacuum line coming off the intake log)
If so, then that carb should actually have a second assembly that looks just like an accelorator pump on the pass. side as well (it's actually called anti-stall dashpot)...maybe yet another reason to think about finding a better core.
Sorry this is so long...not sure how much of this diff info you're familiar with...so any extra can get filed under TMI :LOL:
BTW....Sweet looking ride 8)

Yeah, I just bought a Pony Carb for it to replace this one.

Also, I'm getting a distributor off an 83 fairmont with a 3.3L engine along with the ignition wiring and a new MSD blaster 3 ignition coil for an upgrade. Thanks rbohm.

Then.....I suppose...it might be time to overhaul the engine and C4 automatic 3 speed transmission.

My plans for this car is definetly a super reliable daily driver. You know, cruising up and down pacific coast highway...that kinda stuff, too.

The upgrades to do list:

Waiting for my pony carb.
Upgrading distrib+ignition coil.
Engine+Transmission overhaul
Front disc brakes!

This is one expensive hobby.
Fun as h℮ll, though.

You know, a town with money is like a mule with a spinning wheel...No one knows how he got it, and danged if he knows how to use it!
-Lyle Lanley

RyanCorpse":tju0h7mq said:
The upgrades to do list:

Waiting for my pony carb.
Upgrading distrib+ignition coil.
Engine+Transmission overhaul
Front disc brakes!

Not a bad plan...but heck, why not something to really dress up the engine compartment on that vert?
http://classicinlines.com/gallery/fordi ... 9_JPG.html

You've already got the header so...In for a penny...in for a pound. Drop in a cam and updgrade/rebuild block +performance ehancers, etc as you :eek:

Might think of doing that after I get it up to par with today's vehicles safety wise.
Still gotta read up on how to get the most outta my engine!

Holy crap, you're right....I only have 1 of those things on my drivers side. No wonder the carburetor instructions came with 2 of those square-y metal circular gaskets....
So automatic carbs are supposed to come with 2 of those?
Someone did something somewhere with my carburetor... :nono:

Back