Stainless header/exhaust install

vssman

Here's a write-up on my install of the new Stainless headers and single exhaust (turbo muffler) system in my 63 drop top falcon.

As posted earlier the headers, themselves, are very well made and look great. I bought mine with the stainless coating and it was very smooth without any noticable imperfections. The front collector was slightly out of round which caused the down pipe to fit tight. Now for the install:

The headers didn't fit without some minor modifications. One of the bolt holes (bottom back) had to be ovalized toward the rear to fit the bolt enough so that the washer doesn't cover the front edge of the bolt hole - say 3/16" ovalizing required. The front collector hits the body where the stiffener for the lower arm projects into the engine bay. A few hard hammer strikes on the body cleared the collector enough so that I think it should be rattle free. The part of the collector that hits is the round buldge where one of the pipes mate to the collector. Stainless pipe doesn't bend easily at all so the 'adjustment' was only possible to the body. Next was the down pipe - it's either very, very close to the pitman arm or hits the inner tie rod when the wheels are turned 3/4 of the way to full lock. I had to flatten the pipe to clear both although the tie rod still hits at full lock. The y pipe didn't fit the two down pipes well at all. I think the difficulty was due to the front collector being out of round and possibly out of position a little as the pipes are too close together to easily fit. The way that the front pipe was bent would lead me to have the straight part of the y pipe near the frame rail but that caused another problem - the pipe would hit the floor support. There isn't enough clearance for the y pipe to fit that way so I had to reverse it with the straight part of the y on the inner down pipe (away from the frame rail). Obviously this causes the rest of the system not to fit correctly but with some good ol' yankee inginuity I got it to work. The y pipe is also too wide to fit the two down pipes without a LOT of force but it's on there. Well see if it cracks with the heat cycles. If it does, I can remove some material to get the y sections closer together. The front pipe dog leg was too big anyway and would have to have been cut. On a drop top the pipe has to go through the tunnel to go past the large floor bracing. After a few measurements, I cut the entire dog leg off and flipped the front pipe. There is just enough bend to clear the floor and braces. I will, however, have to use 1" spacers to drop the belly cross brace pan so that the pipe can fit as it hangs down slightly. The rear pipe fit almost the best. Using the stock hangers makes the cross over pipe hit the trunk. So a universal hanger lowered the pipe enough to clear it. With the "custom" front pipe, the rear pipe exit was off slightly and put the muffler against the gas tank. Luckily there were a few short offset bends included in the kit that allowed me to move the rear pipe to the passengers side to allow the muffler to fit. This puts the muffler farther back just shy of the rear frame cross brace but it fits. I used band clamps when there was enough room (no turns) to allow for any future adjustment if it rattles or bangs when going over bumps. I did talk to MIke and the system is apparently fit to a Mustang and not a round body falcon. Now that it's all in, it looks pretty good. We'll see how it sounds once I get the rest of the engine together for the break in run. That should be next week. In the end cut out over a foot of pipe - thankfully the system was too long as I don't have a pipe strecher... I'd rate this system better than a box of pipes and bends but it's not a bolt in kit. I'm not sure if a later model front end would help with the fit of the down pipe as I still have the old six cylinder front end.

Whose header did you install? Sounds like a bit of a PITA, but I'm sure it's worth it. I'm considering the CI stainless header. I've heard it fits well.

GOing to install mine on my 61 sometime next week.. A bit concerned on the fittment. Was told that they would fit without any clearance issues but after all my dealings I'm hoping that they will fit as I was told.. Mine came with the flange slightly warped. so I will have to spend some more money to get them surfaced. A bit fustrating on top of the fact that they tool 5 months to get to me. Hopefully all is good.. ???

The saga of Header installation in a Roundbody Vert' is classic. The added challenge of the convertible underbody makes for dramatic measures. I have dual out headers (Hooker) in the 63 and 61 170-Roundbody wagon and a 250-2Dr. Clearance issues are different in each application but the common binding points you focus on and dealt with creatively... Are you welding the stainless header mods?. I'd like to see how your header mods work out... Motor/Tranny mount changes and tranny angle have widely varying effect....

Hopefully, just a few more hours :roll: and you're road tesing 8)

So easy a caveman....

63 170 Wagon:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

250 Sedan (flipped center link)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Have Fun

Powerband

It's all together and the engine was started yesterday for the first time after the rebuild. It sounds GREAT! Eventhough there were install issues, I'd get the kit again. I can describe the 'turbo' muffler sound as a nice rumble in the car with that nice flowmaster type "whoooooo" (no other way to describe it) out back.

Now to move onto the tri-carb setup!

Thanks for the feedback Paul... that helps a lot. Now we can work on fixing the minor problems.

Remember, the header and the exhaust system are new products, from new suppliers, so there's bound to be a few problems. The exhaust system was designed around a 65-66 Mustang coupe, so we didn't expect them to be a bolt in install on a 63 Falcon Vert.

Stainless steel expands a lot more than mild steel, so they have a tendency to warp, even when they are welded up in a jig. However, if you follow the proper procedures when you install them, they should seal up as the flange will flatten out when you torque it down (without machining).

I've also been told by a couple guys, that the two upper front bolt holes are slightly off. Not sure if this is on every one, or just a couple? I only tested the prototypes, which were fine. I'm going to check a couple of the batch headers to see if we need to make a minor adjustment before we run another batch. Fortunately this is a small problem that can be easily fixed by the customer.

We are also considering a ball joint down the road, but I haven't decided for sure. I just received a prototype, but haven't had a chance to test fit it yet, or check clearances. However, I like the idea as it allows more adjustment.
headerballjoint.JPG

I also had one coated in Ford Blue ceramic, which is available by special order only. It looks awesome...... I took a pic, but it doesn't do it justice, as the lighting was bad.
blueceramic2.JPG

If it warps more, then why use it for a header?

AzCoupe":1ivcv5pj said:
Stainless steel expands a lot more than mild steel, so they have a tendency to warp, even when they are welded up in a jig. However, if you follow the proper procedures when you install them, they should seal up as the flange will flatten out when you torque it down (without machining).

michael_cini":f7j3zg2r said:
If it warps more, then why use it for a header?

Stainless steel headers may warp a little when they're off the motor, but once they're torqued down and ran thru a couple heat cycles, it's not a problem.

Stainless steel will never rust or pit, mild steel will, even ceramic coated ones.
Stainless steel can be polished (as often as you like), mild steel can't.
Stainless steel will maintain it's appearance and won't discolor like chrome.
Ceramic coatings work better and look better on stainless (smoother finish).
Stainless steel is easier to heat and reshape for minor adjustments.
Plus you can use header wraps on stainless (won't rust) without voiding the warranty.

well they do fit without having to bend or hit anything. Only problem for me as well is the flange bolt holes dont line up.. I'll have to do some work to get them to fit.. May have to forgo the last 2 studs and just run bolts for an easier removal.

only mod I had to do was open up the flange bolt holes.. Poor job of matching the holes to the gasket.. I would strongly suggest that you don't use studs with the lack of clearance with these headers. Other than that they fit well once there in.. I have a 61 Falcon.

AzCoupe":46bgeuu3 said:
Stainless steel is easier to heat and reshape for minor adjustments.

if i take Classic Inlines stainless steel headers to a local welding shop do you think it would be an easy job to bend the headers to clear the 250's low mount starter?

The headers will clear just fine, it's the extensions that don't. They actually clear as is, but only by a 1/16 of an inch or so. All you need to do is reshape the inner extension pipe just a smidgen. Or just leave it off and have your local exhaust shop make a new one. I plan to make some alternate pipes for the low mount starters, but I need to get my 250 block back from the machine shop first, so I have something to work with.

I'd also suggest that on a 250 you use a late model 3.8 or 5.0 starter. They are a lot smaller and the headers should easily clear.

Good suggestion. Do they bolt right up?

MustangSix":p0mqc7zm said:
I'd also suggest that on a 250 you use a late model 3.8 or 5.0 starter. They are a lot smaller and the headers should easily clear.

i have one of those starters from 96 3.8 t bird.cool looking starter.i didn't knot it would fit an inline six.it came with the aod i have.

Back