noobie noobie noob

hi guys. My wife and i have picked up a 64.5 170 i6 c4 trans mustang and we were planning on a v8 swap. The car is mostly complete however not in the greatest shape, but for $650 i cant complain. The more I think about it the more id like to build a performance 6, however she will prolly get the final say. I just figure with all the v8's going into these cars there prolly wont be many I6s on the road in the years to come. So my question is can i build a performance 200 w/out buying too many after market parts. It has also been recomended to switch to v8 suspension and rearend + 5lug. is this all needed?
thanx, justin

V8?!?! Wrong place for that friend! I have a '64 Falcon that had the same setup as yours, 170 with a C4. I'm building up a 200 out of a '66 Mustang, and the major expense so far has been the machine work. Classic Inlines sells cams at a good price, and you can use heads off later year 6's to get better intake and larger valves with hardened seats. You can find those for less than a hundred bucks at a junkyard. I had the block zero decked and the head milled to up the compression to 9.0 : 1. I haven't installed the motor yet and fired it up, but all that stuff combined with a set of headers and a 2 barrel carb should have me doin a bit more than the 60 mph that the 170 used to pull. I think when all is said and done, I'll be into the motor for a little more than 2k, with the majority of that cost, like I said before, in the machine work. I decide to go all out and replace everthing, but with a good used motor, you could avoid the cost of machining, new bearings and pistons, etc, and just swap in cam a carb and a set of headers and be sittin pretty. Use the search option and look up old threads on suggestions for modifications. I'm still a newbie in many ways, but a lot of these guys can steer you in the right direction if you have any more questions.

welcome to the 4M. You can get the power out of the six. And for them being around well ask for a part and someone here either has it or can get it. The car would be worth more also later if you keep it numbers matching. O rat least if you change out the drive line keep the original. If not you may be kicking your self when in 10 or 15 years when goes up on barret jackson and sells big. The six cars are not worth as mush but verses a mut it will be.

thanks for the quick replies. I want to put some muscle in the car without detracting from the classic aspect. as for #s matching, we are planning on changing the paint and interior from wimble-w/parchment to darkgreen metalic/black int . we also don't have any plans on selling, mabey a family aireloom someday.

Numbers-matching isn't a big deal with Fords as much anyway because they didn't do the whole numbers-matching thing like GM did.

The only thing you will be spending big time money on is if you decide to get the Aluminum Head from CI. If not, the next highest thing would be the machine work if you plan on converting your current head(or any other one) to accept a 2bbl.

After that, I don't think you will be spending ridiculous amounts. Just my two cents of course :)

if you want good power but a stock look swap in a 250.looks the same but a couple of inches taller.you should read the falcon handbook.lots of info on ford small sixes.

Are there other factory heads i could get some gains out of with out having to pony up 1700? We have not even started dissasembly or body work, so i have plenty of time to plan drivetrain. I have heard something about the 170 heads off a mavrick? If we stick w/ I6 will prolly go w/200 or 250, and ditch original 170. thanx for the replies, and not being hard on me for being less than knowlgble.

Back