Oil passage in block

mannella

Has anyone taken the oil pressure sensor out and blown compressed air up to the head to clear the passages out?

All that will do is move the junk around. You'll plug up a lifter bore, main oil gallery, rocker arm shaft, etc.

Pull the engine, head and clean it correctly.

Here's my view on it. there should be a check valve at the pump and since I am seeing oil pressure I have to assume that I am getting oil to the sending unit, so if I put compressed air into the pressure unit orifice and have the rocker arm shaft removed and assuming that the blockage is between the pressure unit and the rocker arm shaft I should be able to blow a hole through. since there is a check valve none of the crap should blow back from the pressure unit since the path of least resistance is towards the rock arm shaft. If my theory is wrong I'm more than willing to hear it.

tony1963":1wp9dn9d said:
All that will do is move the junk around. You'll plug up a lifter bore, main oil gallery, rocker arm shaft, etc.

Pull the engine, head and clean it correctly.

Good advice.

mannella":1sjv3rgp said:
Here's my view on it. there should be a check valve at the pump and since I am seeing oil pressure I have to assume that I am getting oil to the sending unit, so if I put compressed air into the pressure unit orifice and have the rocker arm shaft removed and assuming that the blockage is between the pressure unit and the rocker arm shaft I should be able to blow a hole through. since there is a check valve none of the crap should blow back from the pressure unit since the path of least resistance is towards the rock arm shaft. If my theory is wrong I'm more than willing to hear it.

There isn't a check valve in the pump, so you might have a small problem.

If there isn't some sort of check valve then your telling me that the pump has to prime itself every time you start up the car and then send the oil to the rest of the engine I don't think so. Can you imagine if every time you shut your car off that all of the oil drained back into the pan how long would it take for the pump to supply lubrication to a dried out engine? I don't know what is there but I doubt that this is the case something has to keep oil in the system and I would assume its a check valve of some sort or that the mechanics in the pump prevent oil from siphoning back. In either case air pressure wouldn't allow crap to go back to the pump but take the path of least resistance, and your right I did do it and I now have oil to the rockers.

ASAIK, the oil does drain back down, as much as it's own pressure at rest allows.
And the pump lives in a bath of oil so it's always primed.

I just completely gutted my 200 6-cylinder and I can tell you that there is no "check valve" in the pump. There is an over-pressure relief valve, in the rare event that the oil pressure would build high enough to blow the filter off the block, and that device dumps the over-pressurized oil back to the pan.

The filter typically does have a check valve, but with the filter sitting at a 45-degree angle down, very little oil will ever flow back out of the filter when the engine is at rest.

When a vehicle sits idle, the oil will tend to drain back into the pan over time. Gravity will pull the oil down, but it does not happen quickly. The oil pickup tube sits in oil and it doesn't simply empty out. It takes days, if not weeks, to drain it down. That's why when you start a vehicle that has been setting a long time, you hear lifter tick for a moment.

As said before, you are going to do what you are going to do, despite the advice here, so go ahead and do it.

The only "check valve" in the oiling system is an anti-drainback valve in the oil filter. And it's not exactly a precision piece. The oil pump output goes directly to the #1 main bearing.

Anyway, glad it worked out for you. If the blockage was before the oil pressure tap, it would have been blown back into the bearing shell. Not good.

Back