what head mods to do

rommaster2

Ok so i have recently become the proud owner of a low miles (well 60,000 miles) E0 head for my 200ci. I'm trying to figure out what things to do to prepare it to go on. I already know that the direct mount 2 barrel swap is a must while the heads off. The main concern i have is milling it to clean it up. I have a stock rebuild 65 200ci right now. I am going to be turboing my bird in the very near future and so i don't want to run too high of a compression ratio. Basically I'm wondering about how much i should mill to get it between 8.5:1 and 9:1. Or would 9:1 be too high?

Also I have to take into account the thicker then factory headgasket which is the real thing that scares me as the 80s blocks were low compression blocks to begin with and this head is off a 250.

A 1965 block is a little light on mains for forced induction, isn't it? You may want to seek out a later 200 to go with your head.

-Dave

David_Conwill":zcw9pme1 said:
A 1965 block is a little light on mains for forced induction, isn't it? You may want to seek out a later 200 to go with your head.

-Dave

The 65 200 has seven main bearings.

Howdy Rom:

For the head gasket compensation mill cut check the compressed thickness of the new gasket and compare to the .025" of an OEM gasket. The difference is what you will need to cut to compensate for the additional gasket thickness. Depending on what brand of gasket you use it will be somewhere between .020" and .030". That will get you back to a CR of 8:1 or so.

To get the CR up from there try this formula mill cut of .010" = a reduction in chamber volume of 2 ccs. A cut of .050" will take an EO head down from 62 ccs to 52 ccs and raise CR to approximately 9:1. So a cut of .025" should get you to around 8.5:1. This formula is not completely accurate. To be accurate it is best to measure the cc volume of each chamber, both before and after. It is also a good idea to equalize the volume of each chamber to the largest one, especially if you're going to add a turbo. So, after all that a mill cut of approximately .050" will get you in the ballpark.

You might want to click on the link in my signature. It will take you to our site. There is a CR calculator there.

Adios, David

rocklord":24fjbbil said:
David_Conwill":24fjbbil said:

-Dave

The 65 200 has seven main bearings.

Yup seven main bearings, when i rebuilt the damn thing i was amazed at how sturdy the bottom end looks. The only downside is the clutch options but i'm not planning on running tons of power and would be ecstatic to get into 16s with the motor. Pretty much i'm just looking to make it quicker so that when i get a holeshot on someone instead of losing it after thirty feet like i do now i can keep it for a bit.

[. The only downside is the clutch options but i'm not planning on running tons of power and would be ecstatic to get into 16s with the motor. Pretty much i'm just looking to make it quicker so that when i get a holeshot on someone instead of losing it after thirty feet like i do now i can keep it for a bit.[/quote]

then build a 250 and use a v8 clutch.

Back