Going back to I6...

bluestang65

I've decided to go back with an I6 in my '65 Mustang. I converted it to a V8 long ago including the suspension and a T5 transmission. I was reluctant to switch back to an I6 because I didn't want to lose my cable clutch and T5 transmission. I found a Granada today which seems to solve both problems. It has a 250 in it. I'm thinking that if I mate it to the SBF belhousing with a neutral balanced flywheel, I can have the best of both worlds. Any thoughts? Should I keep the duraspark ignition from the 250, or go with the original points style from a '65 with a pertronix ignitor in it?

The Duraspark will be free and appears to have a new module on it already, so rather than buy a replacement OE '65 distributor and pertronix, I'll probably use the Duraspark.
I'll be picking up the Granada today, so hopefully all goes well.

bluestang65":2erlx51a said:
I've decided to go back with an I6 in my '65 Mustang. I converted it to a V8 long ago including the suspension and a T5 transmission. I was reluctant to switch back to an I6 because I didn't want to lose my cable clutch and T5 transmission. I found a Granada today which seems to solve both problems. It has a 250 in it. I'm thinking that if I mate it to the SBF belhousing with a neutral balanced flywheel, I can have the best of both worlds. Any thoughts? Should I keep the duraspark ignition from the 250, or go with the original points style from a '65 with a pertronix ignitor in it?

I'm running a 250 with DS I setup with a GM HEI Trigger. Worked flawless for @ 3years now. The 250 with neutral balance 157T FW will mate to most SBF bell/tranny setups.

Have Fun

Powerband

I'm going to go pick it up tomorrow, I hope. SWMBO has been pretty upset lately, so I might need to make sure she's a bit happier before I drag that home. It runs and drives and has 79K on the clock.

Dang...picture posting failed. I'll try to get it figured out tomorrow.

Yes, but it might sit way high. You can always slot the mounts or make new mounting holes in the bay though.

Keep us posted-
I have a 250 in my 63 Comet with a C4 and it works very well. After experimenting with lots of carbs I found the Carter RBS works quite well- make sure to get the cable throttle linkage from the donor.
Good luck and have fun!
Marc in SF

Duraspark is super easy to wire up and will give you far more carb options than the original Load-O-Matic distributor.

DS2 = vac and centrifugal advance - use any carb with ported vac source

LOM = vac advance only = must use carb with Spark Control Valve which limits you to only three or four carb choices including the Autolite 1100, Autolite 1101, and one or two of the Holley 1v's (1901 and 1940, I think).

Back