Engine Swap Question

Explorer

Going to look at Mustangs Sat for my youngest son. Found a guy that has 50 of them. I'll probably build him a 65-67 with a 250ci automatic. Doubt I'll be lucky enough to find a 69 with it already in there. I know the info for a swap is on here somewhere, just lead me in the right direction.

Surely someone can point me in the right direction. I know the 250 takes a sbf V8 bell housing. Just a link or something. I'm good at reading.

'Search' function? Like: 'search' keyword new 250 or swap engine or change engine or replace engine. That sort of thing.

If you are going to start monkey wrenching on one of these sixes I would highly recomend the Ford Six Performance handbook. It models out the factors you need to be aware of when swapping and many ways to get more performance out of these engines as well as wonderful info on the specs so you can keep it running right. You can buy it from the classic inlines site for like 20 bucks and it will be a help.
http://classicinlines.com/proddetail.as ... D200%2DFSH

For the swap according to my book you need a V8 bellhousing and transmission, but a I6 250 pressure plate because the V8 plates are balanced differently. The 250 is taller than the 200 which was designed to be in those years of cars but a simple fix is to use maverick engine mounts as the 250 came stock in it. Also in some cars there can be clearance problems with the fan and the radiator. Moving the radiator helps this. Other options are to put an electric fan in and while installing the engine move it back far as possible. In some cases there can be clearence problems with the starter as it sits below the oil pan line on the 250's so that is also something to be aware of. Other than that it is a pretty easy swap. I'm planning on doing it to my 65' Stang this summer but I'm going to build it for performance. Are you going to have the engine rebuilt before you install it in the car??? If so you really need to make sure you get that handbook it has some simple modifications that will really wake up the 250. Hope this helps

I scored a '78 250 for $50, and a friend and I put it in a '67. I had the misfortune to have another '67 on stands with no sheetmetal forward of the shock towers. This gave us the opportunity to fit everything up prior to taking down the convertible.

The advantage's were better power, carb, and FSB drive train. And with a factory 8:1 cr it was ideal for that turbo I'll never install.

I had heard that frame mounts from a '69 250 Mustang would work, but in the end we had to fab some and use the v8 as a base. Had to use a radiator from a Fairmont for front clearance, and without the shelby hood I would have had problems there as well. There are no replacement 250 motor mounts that I can find. These are made up from what appears to be a 200 motor plate to a unique center section.

Would I do it again? Yes. Would I recommend it? Probably not.

I am now looking for a replacement motor and can't seem to locate one close by. ( Hint, SW Missouri )

Picture005-1-1.jpg

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff39 ... s11002.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff39 ... s11006.jpg
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff39 ... s11001.jpg

bookworm007: Already built the 200 in my sig line and have the book. Couldn't find anything I wanted out those 50 I looked at Sat. That many and he didn't even know what was involved in the swap and freaked when I showed him a pic of my engine. Going to look at another one with possibilites tomorrow. Thanks for the info! He did have a original K code, but didn't bother asking the price.
66shelby: I'm just going to find a car and go from there. Found a few engines, but too far away to help you.
ludwig: Did some searching and found a few useful threads. Just can't find everything I need in one place, like a build thread where someone did it.

The 250 is taller than the 200 which was designed to be in those years of cars but a simple fix is to use maverick engine mounts as the 250 came stock in it.

Note: The Maverick frame mounts have a different bolt pattern than the Falcon and Mustang. Use the Mustang 250 mounts instead.

Unless you want to get involved with modifications, the 200 is a better way to go in the Mustang.

Just got home from buying a 66 w/"rebuilt" 200ci/automatic. Think I'll check the engine out good and if nothing is wrong with it just do some minor mods. If it's bad I'll rethink the situation. Thanks guy's as usual.

congrats on the buy. It's always sad when you hear/see people just saying or having already done "just put a v8 in it"...

so many i6 fastbacks ruined for "Elanor" resto mods..... :banghead:

Looks like you never got an answer to your original question. Unfortunately I haven't seen much on swaping a 250 into an early (65-68) Mustang, and only a few comments on stuffing one into a Falcon. I don't ever recall seeing a full write up on it.

I'm getting ready to pull the 347 stroker out of my 66 and drop in a 200 or 250, not sure which one yet. If I go with the 250, I'll be sure to document everything (including pics) and do a tech article. If anyone has done it and has a few tips to share, I'd appreciate it if you'd post them, or send me a PM. Thanks.

Come to think of it, the publisher of Mustang Magazine asked me to come up with something original, that would make a good article for their magazine. Maybe I can kill two birds with one stone. ;)

Sounds good Mike. I have come across a couple 250's in my Mustang search so I may pick one up anyway. Never hurts to have one around. I've got a little over a year to complete this Mustang anyway, still got about two months work on the Bronco. Now that I've got the boy's interest back up maybe I can get more help from him finishing mine.

Out of curiosity, Mike, have you ever considered putting together and selling a basic kit to install a 250 into earlier Falcons, Fairlanes, Comets, and/or Mustangs (and such) with engine mounts, and whatever else might be required other than exhaust and such?

Or at least the engine mounts?

:unsure:

Back