What would be a nice build centered around a 1bbl?

Positively Ralf

I pretty much got an idea of what would be a great mild build already with upgrades like a direct 2bbl mount and others, but what would be a nice build fro someone who may want to stick with the one 1bbl carbs?

Howdy Back Ralf:

I thought we had been down this road. 1st issue- which one barrel? what engine are you working with? What trans? What is your budget? How much can you do your self?

Here's my two cents. For a stage one bolt-on, start with an autolite 1101 from a '69 Mustang 250 wth no Spark Control Valve. Upgrade the ignition system to a DuraSpark II from a '78 or later Fairmont. Bolt on a set of 1.6:1 stock type adjustible rocker arms. Replace the exhaust with a 2" system with a 2" id turbo type muffler. These changes are good for a 10 - 15% power increase, across the rpm range.

Stage two would be a head off valve job which would include a performance three angle vlave job,back cutting the intake valves, milling the head to achieve at least a true 9:1 CR, and blending the intake ports to smooth and round corners.

The one barrel carb limits the rpm range so there is not much point to go into a performance cam. The largest one barrels flow about 210 - 215 cfm. I'd have to run some numbers on the calculator, but I'm guessing that it would be very out-of-breath before 5,000 rpms.

Give us some feedback.

Adios, David

Hey hey David

I'm not talking about this for myself. Even though I was surprised to find that my car had the Carter RBS, I'm still going to go through with the 2v conversion later on in the summer if it permits. That is my main goal.

I was actually talking about in general since finding the RBS mated with my engine made me think about what kind would be the most gains someone gets from a 1bbl project 200.

The thing about rebuilding an engine is that the first thing about planning an engine build is that you want to answer some questions before you start picking out parts:

1.) What are you starting with as a core? Is it in such a condition that it will likely need extensive machining, or other work?
2.) How much of the work will you be willing to DIY? Do you have space and time to do what you want to do with it?
3.) What is the overall budget for the project? Will your budget me mostly consumed in the general overhaul of the engine, or will you have $$ left for bolt-on parts.
4.) Are you willing to use high octane fuel, or do you want to be able to run regular?
5.) Can you live with a rough idle and a loud exhaust, or do you want it to run smooth/quiet
6.) How/when/where will the car be driven? Daily commuter? Weekend cruiser? Bracket racer?
7.) How important is it to you that replacement parts be easy to find locally/quickly?
8.) How important is it to you that the engine appear "original"? Would you be open to using parts that appear newer, or appear to be sourced from a non-Ford application?

There are probably a few more, but these are good starter questions. (y)

:eek:opsie: Hijacking the thread, but I would love you read your guys opinions to get a great build/plan:

1.) What are you starting with as a core? Is it in such a condition that it will likely need extensive machining, or other work?

rebuilt c4-auto transmission, stock 200 with a slight oil seep on drivers side, headers, 1bbl pony carb vaporizer, about to upgrade to a Duraspark II distrib. with an Orange Mopar ignition box with MSD Blaster 3 ignition coil.

2.) How much of the work will you be willing to DIY? Do you have space and time to do what you want to do with it?

I'd be willing to give anything a try..but space is extremely limited. Shared garage.

3.) What is the overall budget for the project? Will your budget me mostly consumed in the general overhaul of the engine, or will you have $$ left for bolt-on parts.

Whatever it costs for it to be reliable and awesome at the same time =] Mid-Tier, definetely. I want performance but reliability as well.

4.) Are you willing to use high octane fuel, or do you want to be able to run regular?

Regular, for convienience.

5.) Can you live with a rough idle and a loud exhaust, or do you want it to run smooth/quiet

I can definetely live with either. Whichever gives me better performance and mileage.

6.) How/when/where will the car be driven? Daily commuter? Weekend cruiser? Bracket racer?

Definetely a Weekend Cruiser. I hardly ever go out to places.

7.) How important is it to you that replacement parts be easy to find locally/quickly?

I don't mind ordering parts online at all.

8.) How important is it to you that the engine appear "original"? Would you be open to using parts that appear newer, or appear to be sourced from a non-Ford application?

Original is nice, but when there's something better and reliable out there, the new parts win for me.

RyanCorpse":sqm8s9be said:

rebuilt c4-auto transmission, stock 200 with a slight oil seep on drivers side, headers, 1bbl pony carb vaporizer, about to upgrade to a Duraspark II distrib. with an Orange Mopar ignition box with MSD Blaster 3 ignition coil.

Wouldn't using the GM HEI unit be less expensive and be as reliable? Just sayin...

RyanCorpse":2v43t9js said:
sp_alloy_head":2v43t9js said:
Wouldn't using the GM HEI unit be less expensive and be as reliable? Just sayin...

Don't those HEI units blow out?
Yah those GM products are dropping like flies! :p Poof, there goes another one!

All kidding aside, AFAIK they are quite reliable if properly heat-sinked.

RyanCorpse":s8ocqiuh said:
sp_alloy_head":s8ocqiuh said:

Well, of course any type of electronic device is prone to failure, but the GM HEI units have a better reputation amongst my associates than Ford modules; my personal experience with Ford DS2 modules is abysmal but others have had good success; I have owned a number of GM vehicles with nary a failure. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choices.
Joe

I like the DSII module because they are easy to find and can be swapped out easily and with minimal tools. If I break down the replacement part is as close as the nearest parts store. I suppose the GM module would probably be equally easy to find.

Seems that you have a good foundation with the Pony Vaporizer, the header, and the DSII distributor. Were you planning on an engine rebuild? There are a few things you can do with the internals to get more efficiency, more durability, etc.

What you have listed is pretty similar to my build... 200 with 9:1 compression, mild Clay Smith cam, Carter YF, DSII distributor and module, MSD Blaster coil, single outlet header. It did really well with the C4, but I was left wanting overdrive.

Lazy JW":16edq5e1 said:
RyanCorpse":16edq5e1 said:
sp_alloy_head":16edq5e1 said:

Well, of course any type of electronic device is prone to failure, but the GM HEI units have a better reputation amongst my associates than Ford modules; my personal experience with Ford DS2 modules is abysmal but others have had good success; I have owned a number of GM vehicles with nary a failure. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choices.
Joe

I agree with you on this one. A neighbor and friend used to have a car/truck rental business and all of this Fords (van mostly) used to get 2 modules under the hood. That way when one crapped out he could talk the renter over the phone how to switch it out and get the thing running again...

Eric Rose":2xlma4uz said:
I like the DSII module because they are easy to find and can be swapped out easily and with minimal tools. If I break down the replacement part is as close as the nearest parts store. I suppose the GM module would probably be equally easy to find.

Seems that you have a good foundation with the Pony Vaporizer, the header, and the DSII distributor. Were you planning on an engine rebuild? There are a few things you can do with the internals to get more efficiency, more durability, etc.

What you have listed is pretty similar to my build... 200 with 9:1 compression, mild Clay Smith cam, Carter YF, DSII distributor and module, MSD Blaster coil, single outlet header. It did really well with the C4, but I was left wanting overdrive.

I'm sure I would love to have the engine rebuilt when I gather enough money for it. (Saving up for nursing school.)

I'm reading the FordSix Performance Handbook and I'm writing down a ton of notes on what I would want to do to my car. Now alls I need to find would be a person to do the machining for me.

My MSD Blaster 3 ignition coil didn't come with a "resistor" Is that necessary for my situation?

Eric Rose":27q6la6e said:

What kind of gains did you see with those upgrades?

When I got my Falcon, it had a '69 200 (out of a Maverick?) with a YF on it already, so I can't comment of the gain of the 200 over the stock engine (which would have been a 170). This engine was a real hoot to drive, but had a worn out crankshaft and a rebuild was necessary.

I can say that I noticed a great improvement when I swapped the points distributor (dual advance) out for the Duraspark. I can also say that once I rebuilt the engine to the specs I decided on with help from the forum members it ran more smoothly and got a little better gas mileage. I was getting about 20mpg before the rebuild and the rebuild put me up around 22-24. The engine also runs cooler (thanks in large part to the aluminum radiator).

I haven't got to drive it much since I added the header, larger exhaust, and overdrive transmission. My 4 lug rear was 3.20 which was too high for the 3.07 first gear and the 0.70 overdrive. I am thinking that once I get it back on the road with 3.50 gears in the 8" I have I will probably see close to 30 and drop my cruising RPM at 70MPH from 3000 to 2300 or close to it, right in the torque peak of the engine.

Eric Rose":1n1l3oq1 said:
I can say that I noticed a great improvement when I swapped the points distributor (dual advance) out for the Duraspark. .

Did you install those Mr. Gasket Springs everyone was talking about for that duraspark distrib.?

Back