Anyone here have the DS2 kit from CI?

Positively Ralf

Was looking at both the DS2 kit and the DUI distributor at the CI page. I'm a bit confused about the DS2 package though or maybe I'm just not reading right but will this distributor need the extra hardware like the MSD box and all of the other things that came originally with the DS setup? Or is it a drop in distributor like the DUI with a one wire hookup? Is this DS2 kit also much better compared to a DS you'd find at a yard?

BTW, speaking of the DUI. Would it be fair to say that it would be best used on a race 6 instead of a street/mild 6?

Yep the CI one is just like any other DS2 as far as the additional hardware needed to make it work. It needs some sort of control module or box which could be a stock one or a fancy MSD sort of thing and it needs a coil again could be stock or uber performance, your choice.

The advantage to buying from CI over a parts store or junkyard is the CI/Davis units are carefully rebuilt to very high standards by people that know what they are doing. The other parts (modules / caps / wires/ ect.) that come from CI/Davis are also carefully selected to be higher or the highest quality available, not just what the distributor was importing that week like you could get from other parts stores.

I assume he is getting it from Davis just like the DUI. Davis offers both the DUI and a high quality Duraspark for the other Ford Motors so I assume CI is just like they are doing for the DUI they are getting the DS custom made to fit our little 6's. Davis offered the DS for those that dont like the coil in cap or are die hard blue oval folks that cant stand to use something that GM used. Lucky for us CI made the deal to get them also made for our 6's so even we now have choices.
Items like this that CI goes out of their way to get produced is why we need to support them. Next time you are working on your six have a look at their full catalog, sure there are some things you can get elsewhere maybe even a little cheaper but you know buying from CI will be good stuff and if there is a problem there will be good support. The more we buy the more resources they will have to bring us more products. I dont work for CI and they did not put me up to this. In my day job and other car interests I have seen too many situations where people do not support the dealer that caters to their industry / market. Especially in tough economic times like this many of them cant hang on. When they go so do their custom products that are sometimes the only source. When that happens sometimes the next business to fail is yours.

The DS2 Kit comes with the ignition module (dyna module), the coil, and wiring. Or you can purchase the dizzy only. The distributor is different from what you'd find at a junk yard or your local parts store (remanufactured) in that it incorporates a full length bronze bushing, which cures the timing fluctuations that are common in stock or remanufactured distributors with a little wear and tear. They are also rebuilt to tighter tolerances and custom curved for a mild street performance motor. They are not a one wire install, they require the same wiring as a stock or remanufactured DS2.

The DUI is great even on a stock motor, as its the best ignition system you can purchase IMO.

Here's what David Vizzard had to say about Performance Distributors. http://classicinlines.com/SparkTech.asp

DSIIkit.jpg

I bought a used DSII set-up from a '76 Granada in a JY. Installed it and was underwhelmed by the change. I then found out that the vac advance can was leaking. So I replaced that. It still didn't run that well so I bought a new box. No change. I then checked and found that there wasn't any mechanical advance. So at least I had a core for a new dizzy from O'reillys. So in the end I bought a new dizzy, vac advance can and box. And the coil looked pretty bad too. So besides the small wiring "harness" I had to basically replace everything I pulled from the junker. In this case the JY parts were not a good deal. For you, I'd just buy new and be done with it.

I have a DUI on my other project car, a '68 Catalina with a 4 bbl and 428. That purchase was one of the top 3 upgrades to that car (the others were changing from a 400 to a 428 and a rear gear change from 2.73 to a 3.23).

I bought the new DSII kit from Mike. The best upgrade I've done so far, made a huge (better) change on the engine. I wish I'd saved a bit more and just purchased the DUI. I guarantee you'll be satisfied with either setup....if you get them new.

I had not seen a pic of the complete kit before. Pretty neat. Its an interesting combo of parts. I am surprised they went with a Chrysler style module. I dont doubt its a quality piece but you would think that would be a deal breaker for a die hard blue oval guy just like the GM Hei style original one. The coil looks like a TFI so maybe a 'modern' Ford coil makes up for the Chrysler part? I personally dont care who made anything. Im all for the best of the best to get me the performance or price that I want but I know there are people out there that gotta all have the same brand even if they all come from the same factory now days. Its cool that you can buy the dizzy alone if you want. That way you can use it with an MSD sort of thing or even a stock ford box if thats what you want.

Thanks for the replies guys. I may just pony up and get the whole DUI setup. One wire hookup is what makes it sound appealing to me. Yeah, I'm not much into wiring stuff :nono:

Back