Anything I can do to make my big cam 200 run on a stock C4?

Anlushac11

1K+
VIP
Hello!

Here's the problem.

Is it possible to get engine to run with the stock C4 behind it? It stock everything even stock converter. This car is not planned to be a daily driver so idle and driveability is not a factor at this time.

200 inline six with 8.5:1CR, 274deg dur cam and .450" lift, 110deg lobe centers. Pocket ported head, backcut intake valves, exhaust ported and port divider, milled for CI direct mount adapter for Holley 350cfm 2bbl.

Engine is intended to run with T5. I dont have money right now to get T5 rebuilt (pops out of 3rd gear).

I do have all of my C4 stuff to put C4 behind motor temporarily til T5 gets rebuilt and I get hydraulic clutch kit.

This would be temporary til I can get T5 rebuilt.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

I have a 9:1, 280 adv.-- 208*@.050"-- 111LSA advanced 4*--.420" lift, Direct Mount Weber 2V, Stock C4, Stock Converter, 2.83:1 Final. Daily Driver Falcon. It's not quite the same setup but it's close..

Idle is a little lumpy on first start up(rich due to electric choke not open) but then smooths out when warm and takes off in Low or Drive fine. I take off in Second in the Winter time if there's snow on the roads with no issues; if I take off in First the One-Wheeled-Wonder rears it's ugly head. My progressive 2V is definitely helping my low end though, I don't know how much worse a Holley2V would be. :unsure: Wanna let me know how it does? If you already have a stiffer gear in the back awaiting that T5, you're better off than me in that department but I like my fuel mileage at cruise. My ride's a slug below 15mph and a REAL TURD launching in 2nd gear.

Once I get it above 15mph, I shift at 45mph and 75mph if I'm feeling froggy and it likes it. I need a stiffer gear in the back because it doesn't have much gumption left for Drive...

Stephen

Anlushac11":12t7devf said:

200 inline six with 8.5:1CR, 274deg dur cam and .450" lift, 110deg lobe centers......
That isn't exactly a HUGE cam, in fact the gross duration is only 6º longer than the stock cam in a 300; my guess is that it should run "ok". Perhaps not the ultimate combination ahead of a stock C4 but I see no reason it can't be made drivable.
Joe

8) i would bump the compression ratio about 1 point, and advance the cam 4 degrees. that will give you plenty of low end power to work with the stock torque converter.

My cam is installed straight up (264/274/112) and I have only a Holley 1bbl 1946 carb.
But the head is fully modified too and I have a C4 as well. I went for a 9:1CR.
No problems whatsoever with vacuum levels and the C4. I have a 3.08 rear.
I did modify the carb by putting in a larger jet, and increasing the stroke of the pump shot.
It's perfectly driveable around town as long as you don't mind taking off like grandpa from a stop light.
But it sure comes on strong and has plenty of power now between 75 and 100mph. :mrgreen:
And it's got a nice rumbley idle. :)
I'm looking forward to a 2bbl swap in the near future.

This is my forged piston turbo motor but as with T5 my T3 is awaiting rebuild.

The good news is rebuild kit for the T3 is cheaper than the rebuild kit for the T5.

Cool guys thanks for the info.

Why not just go to a PAP and grab a 4 banger trans and run it till you get yours rebuilt? I know around here, you can get them at PAP's for around $50-60.

Im unemployed and I dont have $40-$50. In trying to use what I have in garage ATM. Not worried so much about making car reliable, it just has to move under its own power in case I have to move it someplace if I get evicted in May.

should work, it will pull enough vacuum, and has enough torque to spool the converter, just might be a little quirky at low throttle off the line.

Sounds like your timing is off. The simple 12 btdc doesn't cut it with that engine. Put the car in gear, stick something in front of tires, rolling is bad. Attach a vacuum, turn the dizzy until you get the best vacuum and adjust the idle screw to keep the revs down to under 1000. Try that.

mach1 mark":2tucpbn6 said:
Sounds like your timing is off. The simple 12 btdc doesn't cut it with that engine. Put the car in gear, stick something in front of tires, rolling is bad. Attach a vacuum, turn the dizzy until you get the best vacuum and adjust the idle screw to keep the revs down to under 1000. Try that.
Me? or JackFish? or Who?

Who ever would like to try it. I was giving a solution the the poster's problem. He said he can't get the car to run. I suggested check the timing. :)

That thing should run like a charm with a stock c4 and that baby cam.(assuming that is not a .050thou duration figure!) Are you sure the cam timing is correct?

that cam isin't all that big. But I do understand the put puting aways from stop lights.
You could advance the cam to build a little more compression in the engine.
Have you set the igniton timing by ear?? Find out how much makes it ping slightly and then back it off 2-3 degrees.
Do this with what fuel you will run. doing it with race gas and then switching to pump is not correct.
Now is not the time to use stock ignition timing settings on your car.

The engine is not back from the engine builder yet.

I was just worried because the cam specs say it needs manual tranny or a high stall automatic. I am planning to run C4 just til T5 is ready.

Back