'65 stock

Lupin398

Hey, what setup were I-6 '65 Mustangs? I traded my '68 that needed extensive work for a '65 that needs the trunk floor cleaned up and fixed(lip that the gas tank sits on) a spot by the battery, and I think one spot by where the rear seat would go. It has the electrical harness and the motor mounts for a 6, as well as 4-lug all around. I plan to put a little 1-barrel carb ontop the 200, and maybe a C4, depends on if I can find another tranny cheap enough since it has the clutch pedal.

I'm hoping to get her done by this summer, since the majority of the work needed is in the trunk to secure the gas tank.
Ideas, comments, and suggestions welcome 8)

8) does your car have the C4 now? if so then you can grab a C4 for a 65 mustang, and use your bell housing, and have your torque converter flushed, and reuse it.

C4 is off a 351W with the big block bellhousing and the torque converter probably doesn't have the proper stall from what I gather. Also I have no idea at all about the flywheel, I have one but =/ I have no idea how it goes. Everything I've worked on had a solid flywheel, but the 200's C4 doesn't. I'm more than willing to swap my big block bellhousing for a smallblock but no one around here seems to want one. If I got the bellhousing I know of a confirmed working C4 that my brother would probably swap for.

depending on what year your 200 block was made you might need to find a bellhousing for the small bell with c4. Not the easiest thing these days since they only used em for like a year and a half *shrug*. I know they're out there though cause i have one sitting in my garage along with a c4 in case my t5 ever dies in an inopportune time.

Doesn't the C4 bellhousing for the 200 use the lower bolts on a dual pattern block? If so, any C4 bellhousing for the 200 with a high mounted starter should work, even for a 65 block.

I know one block is from 63-79 but my book doesn't say what it was in. The other is either another 63-79 or an 80-82, dependent on the vehicle's VIN :roll: I can only imagine where that car it was in originally went today. I have both the block casting numbers if anyone's got a bit more detailed book. C6DE 6015-B D8BE 6015GE

Lupin398":1xiw7y8q said:
C4 is off a 351W with the big block bellhousing and the torque converter probably doesn't have the proper stall from what I gather. Also I have no idea at all about the flywheel, I have one but =/ I have no idea how it goes. Everything I've worked on had a solid flywheel, but the 200's C4 doesn't. I'm more than willing to swap my big block bellhousing for a smallblock but no one around here seems to want one. If I got the bellhousing I know of a confirmed working C4 that my brother would probably swap for.

8) the bell housing you have will not work with the six, unless you have a low mount starter 200, and at that point you need to move two bolt holes to make it work. also the torque converter wont work, again unless you have the low mount starter 200 block. the 351W flexplate will not work in any case as the crankshaft bolt patterns are different, as is the balance factor, the 200 being a zero balance flexplate, and the 351W being a 28oz imbalance flexplate. what you are going to need depends on which 200 block you have. look at the starter location on the block, if it s above the oil pan rail, then you will need a 170-200 C4 bell housing, torque converter, flexplate, and ring gear. the ring gear will need to be welded to the torque converter if you get a converter not so equiped.

rocklord":2rqith0n said:
Doesn't the C4 bellhousing for the 200 use the lower bolts on a dual pattern block? If so, any C4 bellhousing for the 200 with a high mounted starter should work, even for a 65 block.

Not 100% sure but I doubt that is so seeing as how the bellhousing pattern for the larger stuff is completely different as in bigger. Could be wrong though

rommaster2":2u91gpl5 said:
rocklord":2u91gpl5 said:

the 66 c4 i have uses the smaller pattern.i was told all 170s and 200s did.i could email some pics....

Back