Oil Pump Gasket

mustangman33

I was told it was not necessary to put a gasket between the block and the oil pump. The oil pump I got only came with a gasket for the pick up screen. I was looking at the shop manual and it said that you are supposed to put a gasket between the oil pump and the block. So am I supposed to put a gasket between the oil pump and the block. Its a 78 200 block. Another question is the shop manual also says to prime the pump by putting oil in it, is that necessary? Thanks.

SBF's use a gasket between the block and oil pump. I 've seen some 300's come with them also. Its good to use assembly lube in the pumps to help prime on start-up, engine oil is a little too thin and drains back out if it sits a while, but is probably better than nothing.

Anlushac11":50cvadse said:
mustangman33":50cvadse said:
so that mean i should or shouldn't put a gasket on my 200?

If you have one use it, if not then just make sure the area is clean. My 200 didnt have one either.

8) i agree. also regarding priming the pump, motor oil does ok, as does assembly lube, but i prefer to use vaseline. it is easy to pack into the pump, it stays in place for as long as you need it to, and it dilutes into the oil and never congeals again.

Back