1 barrel air cleaner

dagenham

Does anyone have a part number or a place to get an adapter to fit a 14" chrome air cleaner to an Autolite 1100 to put on my '66 Mustang???
I've looked around and cant seem to find anything.

That's what I did! Picked up a shiny edelbrock air cleaner at o-reilly and cut up the old air cleaner. Welded the base of that to the base of the shiny one (some shitty spot welds, doesn't need to be beautiful, no one will ever see it) and stuck it on there. Looks great.

I also cut up the base of a original Ford air cleaner. A chrome air cleaned is made by Scott Drake the part number is C4DZ9600 and C4DZ9600-W They are expensive.
Thanks,

Lowell

Thanks guys. I think I'm going to simply make an adapter for the chrome base. Shouldnt be too hard. I've made pieces a lot worse than this.

You can buy a kit with air cleaner adapters at pretty much any neighborhood parts store. The kit will come with several adapters for 1v applications, as well as plastic rings that act as a "riser" to raise the air cleaner (not that you would want that as we are pretty limited as far as hood clearance). I know one of the rings fit my YF pretty well but I had to trim it a bit to clear the choke horn. I am pretty sure the kit had a smaller adapter ring in it as well that might work with the 1100.

Don't know if you have ever shopped at mustangs unlimited, but I bought a nice one that fits the ONE barrel for only $37.95 plus shippingt and no cobbling an adapter. Pt#AC3. just a thought. jb1rd

I fabbed up an adapter from some spare steel I had in the garage. Doesnt look too bad. It doesnt matter anyhow since you cant see any of it. If it gives me any problems, at least I know where to get one now.
Thanks guys

I did pretty much the same thing when I first got the Mustang; cut the stock base and used a chrome aftermarket lid. Looked nice!

Two things I discovered: 1. At part throttle the carb makes a tremendous sucking noise! :unsure: Apparently the stock air cleaner is as much a muffler as it is air filter! 2. You may actually lose power since the incoming air is exposed to all the heat in the engine bay. A cool air duct to the stock cleaner may be a better power producer.

Back