What displacement is it?

mannella

I dropped the pan on my 65 comet and am surprised to see that there are only 4 main bearings. Is this an anomaly? i have 5 frost plugs and three bolts on the water pump. I used my calipers and the bore is 3.68 actually closer to 3.69 but I have cut the carbon off the top and its hard to use calipers but I don't have any inside micrometers. Was there a 200 with only 4 main bearings?

8) the 3.68 bore indicates either a 200 or a 250. since all 250's had 7 mains, and four bolt water pumps, that engine can be ruled out, thus you have a rare 200 with four main bearings. i would be willing to bet that your comet is a very early production model year comet, likely built in september 1964. my falcon is in a similar boat, it is a very early production 64 model year, built in sept 63, and has the small shaft distributor 170.

Thanks for the reply. this motor is becoming a money pit. I was hoping to get away with just having the valves done but now the machinist tells me the head has a couple of cracks and is warped the valve guides are shot but nothing that $525 won't fix. In for a penny in for a pound.

Before yoyu put that much money into that old head consider some alternatives like Mikes AL head. I know it's a steaper price but consider what you are getting and the fact that you won't have to pay to have the old head fixed plus once the machinest starts he may find hidden damage that costs even more.

Can you find another engine core, a later one with 7 mains? Your head is shot, building a strong 4 mains engine is shakey, the reason Ford went to 7 mains. Not as familar with the SBF6s as with the BBF6, which the 200 or 250 would be a bolt in ?
Sometimes the most economical way is to start from scratch instead of trying to save what you have. BTDT learned the hard way.

mannella,

Where are you located? Someone on the forum may know where you can get a running 200 close to you.

I have advertised all over and people do have them but they think they are gold plated. The machinist said I could get another head but most likley still end up with nothing better than I have.
To be honest if this car was a Mustang or even a Catalina and not just a sedan I would go the full nine yards but I don't want to get more sunk in this car than I can hope to get out.

mannella:

I'm in Las Vegas, NV.
I've got a C1 casting head sitting here that you could have if you want to pick it up.
If you're interested I'll get a look at it and try to give you a better description the next day or so.
It's one of the earliest small six head designs, so not exactly "optimal", but it is "free" if you just want to get your wheels back on the road.
And, if you bring a set of valves seals with you I can even help you put them in when you pick it up, if you want to spend about an hour helping put them in. (I would recommend a set of seals just because it has been sitting so long.)

manella,
Something I noticed when my C8 casting head was cracked from exhaust valve guide to pushrod hole(cyls 3&4) was that the D7 head I bought had a little extra mtl. cast there on each exhaust spring pad.

I appreciate the offer phantomace but to get there would take about three days of driving. I'm live in Temagami Ontario Canada

Back