Project at a stand still...250cid Seized Up!

RocketFoot

My Dad and I just started to restore our 1972 Mustang Coupe with 1v 250 I6 but we already hit a road block! The car has been in storage since 1981 and now the engine is frozen! We removed the starter, took the plugs out and tried flooding the cylinders with ATF but it is going on 3 weeks now and it still won't budge. The car was parked in 81 with no mechanical problems...it just wasn't used so it went to storage.

Anyone have any ideas on how to get it freed up? We haven't really hammered the front crank bolt in fear of snapping it off. We're currently looking for a flywheel tool to try rocking the flywheel. Any suggestions appreciated!

Photos: http://www.supermotors.net/registry/21893

Pull the Engine , do it right , if its seized now there is no way it will run right if it gets unstuck , The engines are not made anymore , no use hurting a rebuildable piece

Id imagine your gonna wanna rebuild the motor now...

Id probably yank it out, take the head off, crank out, mark the journals and rod caps to make sure they go back where they came from, then Id see if I couldnt gently persuade each piston to come out.

but this might not be the right way for you or the right way at all.

theres better products than ATF to use to free a rusted part but Id say it would be useless now...

good luck

I agree on pulling the engine and rebuilding it.

To free up the pistons, use a 50/50 mixture of acetone and ATF; it's been found to work better than some of the more expensive pentrants.
A subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

*Penetrating oil ..... Average load*
None ...................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster ............... 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ......... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil .............. 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix.......53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

Read it here: http://forums.thecarlounge.net/zerothread?id=4547049

Good luck.

JackFish":1o37zpjc said:
but I didn't know that LW was better than PB blaster
I'm surprised by that as well...good info

If you're not in a big hurry and interested in giving it one last try...I'd consider putting the plugs back and filling from the intake carb inlet. Thinking about where the plug falls in the cc...might be worth another attempted long soak...might even try the mix Dan suggests. That way you could be more sure of complete 360* saturation/immersion of the rings. Just a thought.

Yeah, I am pretty sure that we will be tearing it down. My Dad is optimistic...but we'll see! LOL

I'll be working on it again this weekend.

Back