You know what, screw this

Positively Ralf

I bought the Accel Super Stock coil today because I wanted to mate it up with the Pertronix in my car. I'm going to return it tomorrow and just go ahead and put in the order for the DUI ignition. :)

I have heard like many of the old names Accel is no longer what they used to be. I used to buy their distributor caps because they were good quality and often less cost than the preimum store brands but the last one seemed to crud up faster than the cheapo ones did.

My car was all stock when I sold it (the motor). The guy I bought it back from swapped the stock coil for a MSD Blaster. Works fine.

It's not even about the coil. I know I'm going to keep the motor in the car for as long as I have it so why not get the best available product right away? I know putting down $500(or whatever it costs) is a big spenditure(is that a word?) on a mostly stock motor, but I just want to get it done with. With the head clean up which is only going to cost me $275, I think I can go along with it.

Now I just need some suggestions on a good mild camshaft to use with a Carter RBS. I want to see how far I can go with this carb since I think it will be a good idea for me to start off with a 1bbl since I don't have any experiences with a 2bbl and I really don't wish to pay someone else to deal with my carb problems.

Cheers!

Whats wrong with the petronix unit?

I get your reasoning for the DUI but unless your having issues with the petronix...I might opt to wait until the motor is together and everything else is done...then see if the spark side needs attention.

Not saying Im right or your wrong...saying keep your money. :D

The DUI gives you a top-notch ignition in a tidy package. There are other ways to accomplish first class ignition, but none quite so handy.
Joe

I have no doubt the quality is there in regards to the DUI product, didnt imply otherwise, but I could see where 500 bucks could be better spent in this situation.

Again, personal opinion.

I certainly cannot afford a DUI distributor, and I can get about 95% of the benefit with my cross-bred DS2/HEI/TFI setup which cost about 10% of the DUI price (using junkyard parts); that said, there is nothing that can match the clean install and performance combined of a DUI. One wire and you don't have to find a place for the coil (y)
Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choices.
Joe

Being on a budget, Id try to not fix things that arent broken and apply the funds where they are really needed, function over form Id say.

When you consider that you probably have to run a relay to power the DUI, I think the ease of install is probably about the same. DS II is only 3 wires, its all common Ford parts, and the versatility of having centrifugal advance puts it far above the LOM+Pertronix in my book. (y)

I agree, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

For me, the $500 cost of a DUI is one of those 'finishing' touches for an engine. IMHO, for $150 you can get 99% of the same performance. I tend to look at things as a $$$/HP equation. There are far better ways to get performance for the $350 right now.

I'm very pleased with my DUI. Worth the money to me. I purchased it used. No relay was needed for my install.

20 minute install for only $125 with the high voltage coil almost 7years and 40k miles ago. Pertronix is the ticket!

Mercury Mike":2o6nhszg said:
I'm a DSII guy all the way. Me and RyanCorpse can have one in and running in about 20 minutes. =P

True that, homeslice.
Get me some 14g wire, a wirestripper+crimper, some bullet connectors, and it'll be 12v before the dinosaurs are mentioned in the bible.

Back