Exhaust restriction (factory 1980 pre light can)

richard

How much of a restriction are the canisters associated with the later I6 cars? I have a 1980 Fairmont and have replaced the entire exhaust from the exhaust canister back, to include removing the converter. Seems older models have the exhaust manifold dumping right into the exhaust.

The Fox body inline six pre cats are monolithic type converters and as long as its not clogged up flow OK (Most I have seen are usually at least partially clogged), the manifold itself I would think is a larger obstacle than the monolith type cat.

Modern cats are alot more effective than the cats made 30 years ago. If you have vehicle inspections you may need to leave the pre cat on. You can "remove" the monolitic element in the precat and that would help reduce any obstructions to airflow.

Does anyone have a picture of one of those "pre-light" cans? I sure would like to see one on the inside. My 82 Cougar has the big pipe and I can find nothing on the internet about it nor does the internet mention that there is a pre-cat in there. :thanks:

Back