Autolite 1100 problem

292fan

Hi all, wondering if anyone could help with my carb issue. My 63 Falcon with a 170 and Autolite 1100 has a MAJOR starting from cold condition. It will start up good for a few seconds. Then it will stumble and die. Start it and it stumbles and dies again. Start again and immediately dies. I check the carb and it looks as if someone dumped a pint of gas on top of the carb and intake manifold. (manifold wells are full)Gas is also still dripping from the center of the carb discharge onto the butterfly. Engine will start after fully opening the butterfly, it"s obviously flooding out. After that, it runs great. Notice too that a warm start can be temperamental but not as bad. The carb is all rebuilt with new parts and gaskets. The accelerator pump squirts when the throttle is moved and the bowl vent rod works too. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks, Steve.

Thanks guys. I'll check the float level as I had to change during the rebuild.( Hole in the original). I'll check the fuel pump. It is an original mechanical type. Does anyone know the correct pressure? Thanks for all the help. Steve.

Make sure you've got a metal float in there.

Some of the new foam replacement ones get fuel-logged and sink, then flood.

Hi, thought I'd do an update. I think I found the problem. When I took the top of the carb off, the float(brass) would hang down. When I turned the float upside down to measure the height, it didn't immediately go down.Upon examination I found one of the ears that the float pin goes through bent. I tweaked it and sanded the ends of the float between those ears, and it operates smoothly. I also noticed even though the float was the proper height, It wasn't entirely parallel to the top plate. So I tweaked it, put it back together. Starts within 3 revs when cold, no stalling and NO FLOODING. Thanks for all the great ideas as I check them all and they were all within specs. The Falcon is happy again. Thanks again all....Cheers.

Glad you found your problem and it was an easy fix. I've had my NEW IMPROVED Vaporizer from PONY for about 8 months and still cannot get it to function properly. When I installed the thing, I followed the instructions to a "T", so to speak. The only way my car would start and run is with almost a FULL chock. Let the choke off and it would stall. Checked all gaskets, even replaced all gaskets, hoses, and any vacuum lines, just in case of a leak, still nothing changed for all these months of trying. Finally On the first week in April took the car ON a rollback to my regular mechanic, he's been dependable for over 25 years. He was given carte blanche to get my car running. He told me today, that the PONY carb has problems and he didn't know what it was. He finally replaced it with a rebuilt carb for awhole less money, it fired right up and only had to make an idle speed adjustment, and has about 20-21 inches of steady vacuum and idles really smooth.
Sometimes lots of money thrown at a problem doesn't help, just a better product. Now, the only battle I will have is with PONY. Glad it has a year's warranty, I plan to test it out. Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations about my carb. And I will be going to the DUI system this next month. jb1rd

I am on my 2nd Pony Carburetor and can't get the damn thing to start cold. Symptoms are just as described. I have the old Holley but the choke tube is missing. I am going to put it back on and see if it works. If it works, its the Pony!! Jon is a pain to work with too. All his answers are did you watch the video. If I lived closer to where he has his shop, I'd drive it there.

Back