DSII vs DUI

1967JMG

It seems like there are more people using DSII set-ups than DUI's, probably because of the up front cost. The thing is, I like the more stock looking appearance of the DSII, but I want the power of the DUI. If even possible, how can I get the DSII to give me the same added ponies that the DUI would?
Thanks,
JMG

There are NO extra pony's from a DUI ( aka gm HEI ) the only thing going for a DUI is its all in one spot , Ever see one in Nascar ,No, not there they use MSD and thats much closer to a Duraspark unit , same deal with the top classes in NHRA/IHRA , unless they have to use them ( HEI) they were designed for 4500 rpm chevs in the smog era, Ive been working with Dists since 1976 , Chrysler had the best Ignition Modules , Ford the best magnetic pickups , GM the most unitized design , BUT they DON't Make more power

So why is it that the DUI is advertised as making 13 more horses over the DSII?
please forgive my ignorance :oops:

Manufacturers can make any claim they want too.

Honest company can test many combinations and only need one peak number that looks good.

Dishonest company can make any claim they want.

Think the big appeal for the DUI is the billet material. The actual functional side of the distributor can be immitated using other sources for less $$$$

This topic will never end (which came first the chicken or the egg). You can get the same power out of either from all the post I've read. I went with the DUI for easy installation, looks and the power (over stock unit). My easy and your easy are 2 different things. The look I like and you like are 2 different things. Power is what most of us all like :eek: . The purist want to stay all Ford no matter what and I cant blame them but to say that the company that makes the DUI is dishonest is not right. Mike helped have them made and I do not think he would have gone through the trouble if it didn't work as stated. So the debate will go on as long as we keep the INLINE dream alive :) .

The DUI "may" have the advance curve closer to what is needed by a performance engine; this, of course, can be corrected in the DS2 and since every engine is different the DUI will probably need some tweaking too.

The DS2 with GM HEI module and TFI coil comes pretty close to the DUI for performance but it is nowhere near as tidy.
Joe

AxeSeth6":ybejwemm said:
This topic will never end (which came first the chicken or the egg). You can get the same power out of either from all the post I've read. I went with the DUI for easy installation, looks and the power (over stock unit). My easy and your easy are 2 different things. The look I like and you like are 2 different things. Power is what most of us all like :eek: . The purist want to stay all Ford no matter what and I cant blame them but to say that the company that makes the DUI is dishonest is not right. Mike helped have them made and I do not think he would have gone through the trouble if it didn't work as stated. So the debate will go on as long as we keep the INLINE dream alive :) .

I didnt say anyone was dishonest.

They are basically bastardizing GM inspired ignition components? Its not voodoo or anything special, its familliar technology with a distributor shaft that fits your engine.

Is it better than stock points, you bet. Is it better than the stock duraspark II setup, you bet.

But at the same time, the actual functional side or increased spark power/curve, can be immitated or exceeded using less expensive sources, there is nothing to debate, thats fact.

Im not knocking the product, if I needed a distributor and had the money, I would buy one of these, then again, maybe not, I like the ignition box/coil/distributor look under a hood...plus Im cheap. :D

8) the two biggest advantages of the DUI ignition are;

1: everything is in one location which cleans up the wiring.

2: it is much easier to change the advance curve on the DUI since the advance weights are right under the rotor.

beyond that all electronic ignitions are about equal in performance and reliability.

there is also the pro comp brand of DUI (GM HEI with coil in cap) systems that are selling all over the internet and ebay
and they sell CHEAP. they may work better and they claim they have better (hotter spark) than GMs modules.
Maybe they do but If their fancy elctronics module dies. The GM module you get at a local store won't come close to fitting under that cap its ALL different than the GM stuff. I have no idea if DUI go this route also.

I have seen may years ago cheap plastic caps and rotor buttons with holes burned right though them on GM HEIs, so i am not really in love with its compactness.
Remember the screws that hold down the coil are pointing directly above the hot end of the rotor. I've holes there and you get a miss that is very hard to find.

I like the system Joe is using on his White truck. all very available parts and most any parts store.

It's my understanding that the DSII came with an adjustable vacuum can, my DUI did not. It can be fitted with an adjustable vaccum can from Summit or Jeg's or the like.

Like I said to our poor original poster the debate will go on long after we are all gone. The dsII is a great set-up I went for the DUI because I like the look and Perfomance (over stock) you can get simalar results out of either one I am sticking with DUI now 1. because I bught it and 2. because when I want the carf to start it does. Good luck deciding they both work both are great one looks stock one is definetly not you will have to go from here and good luck.

thanks for all the quick replies fellas. this thread has been quite busy over the past day. the only reason why i was originally asking is because on the CI site it said the approx horse power gains from the DSII were 5-10 and the DUI was 10-20, so i was wondering what the difference was.
so it sounds like it really all comes down to what coil and module you use with the DSII?
has anyone with power steering tried using the DUI?

80broncoman":1iv7uzim said:
I like the system Joe is using on his White truck. all very available parts and most any parts store.

Ive actually done this myself, its ugly, could be made pretty with creativity but as far as functionality goes, it works great and inexpensive!

Yes I did the DUI with power steering. There is not much difference between 67 and 68 so it should work for you.

I wonder if there is something in the design and layout of the weights and springs in the HEI vs the DS that allows them to get a bit more out of the HEI? It appears that both have the improved mechanicals and they both have a 'special' module and coil so from that standpoint you would think they are both pretty close.

I have not seen the small 6 version of the DUI but their other versions everything is physically interchangeable with standard GM stuff. Quality, value, and performance is yet another question. For the 8's thats nice because most stores have options in the quality of caps and rotors. 6's I suspect CI would be the best source since not a lot of people are hot rodding 6's.

1967JMG":v4i4yzn4 said:
..... approx horse power gains from the DSII were 5-10 and the DUI was 10-20, so i was wondering what the difference was......

I'm too lazy to look it up but I am "guessing" they used a stock DS2 in this test (someone please correct me If I am wrong) and the DS2 "tin can" coil is essentially the same as the stock breaker point type coil. The DUI uses the "E-type" coil (so called due to the shape of the iron core) which is definitely superior because of its higher inductance capability; if you hang an "E-type" coil on a DS2 then the game is much closer to even.
Joe

Ahhh.... I was thinking that comparison was to their DS2 but if it was a 'stock' one without a re curve and such...

If your down to wire it all up i would say go ds2 with msd module, thats what i've been running and you can pick up used msd modules for pretty cheap (got my module and coil for $100) which puts my duraspark 2 and msd package at about $150 pricewise. Made such a huge difference.

I agree that the cheapest way to get a really hot spark is keep it cheap with the distributor and make sure it has the timing curve you want and put an MSD unit on it with a good e core coil and light it up, its amazing how far you can hold the cap wire from the coil and watch the blue lightning show, you will have to have spiral core wires of a good brand to hold the juice in the right places, I like talor wires, but theirs another can of worms and opinions and open the spark gap to at least .045 and you don't have to run any kind of fancy plugs, the cheapest will work fine and last longer with the cleaner burn.

Back