Back with Questions for you guys

bigblue91

this is my first carb rebuild and my question is

alright my carb kit is on the way for my carter yf. this yf i pulled off my 250 project is rusty near base and a little inside. how should i go by cleaning a carb, should i buy a gallon of carburetor cleaner (and let it soak) or should spray cans do and are wire brushes safe anywhere on a carb?

now questions for my 250 rebuild.

for my budget ive decided on the 264/274 -112 cam. porting the head myself. having head milled to improve compression. headers. adapter plate and 2 barrel (i dont think i could pull off direct 2 barrel machining). and replacing the internals of course.

my question is, with this setup will the 2 barrel with adapter be restricted and cause hesitation or should this engine run ok?

ive budgeted everything mentioned above and wanted your guys final opinion :mrgreen: on if this 250 will run ok with the above things done to it?

Not an answer to your question but I have a question regarding the carb on it right now. Shouldn't that actually be a Carter RBS attached to the 250 head that year? I could have sworn the 75 250 Mav came with an RBS.

yea ive looked into it, the 75 didnt match the yf but the actual carb ive got is a yf so it was either changed at some point on the car, but i think the owner told me the wrong year of his maverick.

I got this link from a buddy and although it's for motorcycle carbs much of the same stuff applies.
http://cycles.evanfell.com/2008/09/how- ... right-way/

And there are some interesting tips:
If some of the pressed jets are clogged it can be difficult to open them up. There are a few things you can do.

* Carb Dip – Most autoparts stores sell carb dip. It comes in a can similar to a paint can and is a VERY harsh cleaning agent. Soak the entire carbs in this dip. This dip can eat at rubber and plastics if they are submerged for too long, so try and remove everything you can from the carb bodies before soaking them. Once you pull them out swish the carbs around in a bucket of water to clean off the excess dip, then hose them down with WD-40 to get rid of the water.
* Boiling in Water – Not many people do this but it is by far the best way of cleaning carburetors. Dropping the carbs into a pot of boiling water will instantly free up stuck slides, throttle plates, and other frozen parts. It will also loosen the dirt and grime clogging up pressed jets and other passages. Just make sure to dry the carbs thoroughly with compressed air or the sun afterwards.
* Boiling in Lemon Juice – There is NOTHING BETTER at cleaning carbs than a giant pot of boiling lemon juice. The acidity from the lemons eats through everything; gas varnish, oil build up, dirt, grime, etc. Sometimes I won’t even bother doing anything but this – I’ll just remove the bowls, remove the caps, then drop everything into the pot and let it sit for 20 minutes (rotate them a few times). The one caveat to doing this is that you’ll want to wash the lemon juice off the carbs as soon as you pull them out. So have a bucket of water ready, or a can of WD-40 to hose them down. Also note that the acidity has a tendency to put a dull finish on the aluminum bodies of the carbs. This isn’t a problem in most cases, but if you must have everything shiny be prepared to do a little scrubbing and polishing afterwards. It may sound weird, but trust me, I just saved you LOTS of time. (Most dollar stores sell 1/2 gallon jugs of lemon juice, so buying a few gallons will only cost you $6. Plus you can put it back into the bottles afterwards and save it for next time.)

interesting tips, ill give your link a read.

can anyone give me the thumbs up for the 250 plan or should i reconsider some things?

now questions for my 250 rebuild.

for my budget ive decided on the 264/274 -112 cam. porting the head myself. having head milled to improve compression. headers. adapter plate and 2 barrel (i dont think i could pull off direct 2 barrel machining). and replacing the internals of course.

my question is, with this setup will the 2 barrel with adapter be restricted and cause hesitation or should this engine run ok?

Sounds like a fairly good plain and using the 2V adapter will be ok but it for sure is going to be more restricted. I am sure the engine will run ok and it dose not really need to cause hesitation those would be tuning issues of getting the carb adjusted correctly. That said its still a much better idea to direct mount the carb if you can find it in your budget, as it would gain some more flow to complement the porting work along with some extra horsepower. Since you will already have the head off for the milling and the porting work it would be the perfect time to do it.

(y) your probably right, ill just see what the machine shop will charge or if they will do it. its just something i cant do myself.

Think depending on the shop's equipment should be easy and reasonable. I am also looking for a 250 or 200 with auto trans to build for a 65 Falcon going to do many of the same mods to it also. Good luck on the 250 build.

I just noticed in your SIG

“Daily driver = 77' Ford Maverick 250 straight six. A little over 52,000 miles. All original, 2nd owner.”

Interesting also have 77 Maverick 250 with 26,220 miles am the 2nd owner. Mine is mostly original except I did port the head and changed from a bench seat to buckets. Is not currently a driver needs a brake work and few other repairs.

bubba22349":1cgan5gj said:
I just noticed in your SIG

“Daily driver = 77' Ford Maverick 250 straight six. A little over 52,000 miles. All original, 2nd owner.”

Interesting also have 77 Maverick 250 with 26,220 miles am the 2nd owner. Mine is mostly original except I did port the head and changed from a bench seat to buckets. Is not currently a driver needs a brake work and few other repairs.

:cool: , yea mine was a barn find but now that its out of the barn shes withering on me. i have to find a weatherstripping for all the doors, and replace the front/back windshield rubber.
the six im planning to build though is destined for something else :mrgreen:

Sounds great! Mine is showing her age some too from all the hot Calif. sun. Starting to look like a rat rod. needs paint and a headliner seat covers etc.

Back