racing the ranchero

One may win simply by being able to try.

One must also win against any racer at any time in order to preserve face in the face of disaster such as losing to a ricer with a header and race clutch...

One must also consider 2,500 to 2,900 lbs of Truck and 120-135 HP, versus 1,900 lbs of car, and 130 to 155 HP....

You will have all your HP pushing your truck by the 60 foot mark, your power being full before 3800-4200 rpm's depending on your cam, that honda power don't come in until it reaches 5,000 rpm's give or take. so off the line you got him, but watch your back he can wind it out to 7000 rpm's and you're probably in the 5500 range max.

Much luck!

depends on how far into construction your engine is from your sig. A stock 200 is really really slow, my 200 with ds2 powered by msd, a 2 barrel carb, and a bigger stock exhaust was still slow on top end. All i had on hondas was i could rape one up a hill with the T5 but otherwise i would get a holeshot and then hear that damn little motor revving to 7 grand and the thing would pass me up.

FALCONAROUND":19ffaeml said:
One may win simply by being able to try.... You will have all your HP pushing your truck by the 60 foot mark, your power being full before 3800-4200 rpm's depending on your cam, that honda power don't come in until it reaches 5,000 rpm's give or take. so off the line you got him, but watch your back he can wind it out to 7000 rpm's and you're probably in the 5500 range max.
Much luck!

Good point on the RPM limit - Anyone successfullly running a six cylinder Rev limiter, I'd like to hear your setup ...

Thanks

Powerband

Redline calibration = Parts on the road minus @ 100 RPM ...

I think you have got a good shot Irwindale is a 1/8 mile track.(y) Good luck I use to race a 64 Ranchero back at the old dale 1/4 so I am rooting for you :cool:

Your 200 has the ability to turn 9,000 + rpm's but it does not have the induction that would allow it.

I am going to build my 200 to be able to sustain 8000+ rpm's at will, and have in excess of 200 HP all with the original Log head still intact on top of the motor Naturally Aspirated. It's just going to take me a long time ;)

Well if u get that turbo engine in it would be a piece of cake! Hows the traction in the back end of ur ranchero? Thats been my biggest problem with trucks is there is no weight over the drive wheels.

Cutting a good light will be half the battle. Is the Ricer on slicks or street tires? From my experience most of the kids driving imports will usually spin the tires off the line instead of driving it out.So if you can leave on them and get off the line without spinning the tires you could stand a good chance to beat them especially in the 1/8th mile. Do you know what the other car runs in the 1/8th and what do you run in the 1/8th?

its basicly a stock accord with a racing clutch and headers, he forgot what he ran last time, im thinking of tweaking the carb a little so i can get more off the line bite, is there anything i can do to my holley big 1940, if i gas it to hard it bogs out i think it has someting to do with the accelerator pump

Do you know what year Accord?

Which model?

Does he have any other mods?

Early Accord 2 doors weighed about 2000lbs, the later the model the more they weighed.

1990-1993 is listed at little over 2700lbs.
1994-1997 is listed at little over 2800lbs.
1998-2002 is listed at little over 2900lbs.
2003-2007 is listed at little over 3100lbs.

The early Accord 4cyl's ran about 100hp to 120hp but the later models can run from 160hp to almost 200hp.

Even if he has a header if he has done no other engine mods its not going to add a lot.

I can see a race clutch adding to his reliability but not significantly increasing his 1/4 mile time.

8) there are many variables to take into account. are you running heads up? or handicapped? how hard are you able to leave the line compared to how hard he is able to leave? can you cut a good light(something like a .502 on a .500 tree?), and how good of a light can he cut? if you are running heads up, unless he is making like he is in a coma, you are going to have a hard time against him. if you have to run handicapped, you have a real shot at winning. leave on the last yellow, dont spin the tires and you should be sitting pretty.

How close to Irwindale are you? I am located a couple miles from the track could maybe help you get the tune right if you need it.

Unless he has gutted the interior he does not have a weight advantage.

I guesstimate he is making between 140hp and 166hp unless he has done other mods and is "forgetting" to mention them.

Ranchero is light in rear so that can be a traction problem but the Honda is FWD and when they try to accelerate the front wants to lift reducing traction so I think traction will be limited by both parties. Honda owners can get a cable thingy for FWD cars that bolts to frame rail and A-arm to limit body lift to help keep wheels planted more firmly.

IMHO I think the odds are in the Ranchero's favor assuming the Honda owner is truthful on what mods he has.

I just spoke with honda guy. and he said that that car has more stuff in it.

Dc Headers
short shifter
act clutch stage 2
apex a/f comp.
2 1/4 exhaust.
progress springs
aem ram air intake

do you guys think a have a chances?

Unless he has done other engine work just having a free flowing exhaust and intake won't do much power wise. But the drivetrain upgrades might give him a cleaner take off. But I would be more worried about what tires he has and unmentioned mods

Are you running the turbo?? If not with that 1 barrel especially you are at a severe disadvantage at anything other then to 60ft. Of course my falcon which is slow slow slow can keep up with a 5.0 to 60 feet, but nobody considers that :(.

Downey isn't so far I am off 605 at lower Ausza. I think you would be looking at the mostly likely area for the stubble in the accelerator pump. Could be a little late or not quite enough of a shot of fuel or sometimes it's too early and or too much of a shot you would have to experiment some. Other area that might need some work would be the advance (mech.) in distrib. usally works better if it’s quicker. How dose your Ranchero hook any chassis mods? Do you have a shift kit in the trans? Traction bars etc. If I could see it leave from a stop could help you with the chassis setup several simple changes would get it hooking up better.

Back