i just got a 250 head from the junkyard

got it for 60 bux, came with new looking springs, a valve cover and rocker assembly, it came out of a late 60's falcon how much should i mill off to get 11/1 comp with dished pistons

You will never get there on a 200 with dished pistons , todays head gaskets and any bit of deck clearence , I have 12.3- 1 but that's on a 250 .040 over 0 deck and a head cut .120 , and the head had the Bathtub chambers , if your street driving on pump stay at 9.5-10

Don't think you can get to 11 to 1 you might make 9.2 to 9.5 the chamber volume would need to be about 52 CC for mid 9’s C/R. the max safe mill is going to be about .090 to .100. More important is that your block needs to be zero decked or even better .008 to maybe .010 plus (pistons above the deck). Determined also by your head gasket thickness you would want end up with around .035 to .030 in quench area check valve clearance with clay method or light springs though.

i cant zero deck the block since it is still in the car, i just plan on doing a head swap, so if i mill it down 90 thou and convert to 2b holley how much power should i get, i have a 264 cam

Howdy:

What is the casting code on the new head? It is cast onto the intake manifold just behind the carb mounting hole. Typically, original 200/250 heads after 1970 have a chamber volume of 62 ccs. a mill cut of .010" reduces volume by 2 ccs. So to get back to a '65 200 volume of 52 ccs a cut of .050" is required. You will also need to compensate for the thicker head gasket now available. Stock OEM shim gaskets were .025". New ones are .045" to .055" depending on brand. So an additional cut of .025" would be required to get CR back to the advertized stock '65 ratio of 9.2:1. That is a total cut of .075".

Adios, David

turns outthe head was cracked and valve guides were worn, he said that if i mill down the head that i would have to get shorter pushrods is that true

64 200 ranchero":1k6lh2nm said:
turns outthe head was cracked and valve guides were worn, he said that if i mill down the head that i would have to get shorter pushrods is that true
not if you have adjustable rockers.

Howd yAll:

The simple answer is "No". .025" of the mill cut is taken up with the differnce in thickness of the head gaskets. The hydraulic lifters can compensate for about .125". It should not be a problem, but, adjustible OEM type rocker arms are easily available. Where are the cracks?

Adios, David

If there is room to get to it might be able to drill it and plug.

64 200 ranchero":2g0ut4jf said:
the crack is next to the valve guide, he also said the valve guides are shot

Siamesed Exhaust valve for 3 or 4? If so, that's where my c8 cracked to a pushrod hole.

Back