Stroking the 144?

4Litre_SiX

Hey guys, I am going to have to rebuild my 62 144 engine in the near future and was wondering if there were some changes I could make to increase performance. I would like to keep the 144 block as the car is very original and I want to numbers to match.

Im assuming I could run the crank, rods and pistons from a 170? What would this do to my compression ratio if I retain the original cylinder head? Should I maybe look at purchasing a complete 170 and swapping everything over including the head etc? Is there something else I can do that will give me a similar or better outcome?

I know it would just be easier to change to a 170 or 200 but I really want to keep the matching numbers.

8) you could swap the crank, rods, and pistons from a 170 into a 144 block, but a better choice would be to take the 144 out and pickle the motor, and swap in a 200. that way you keep the original motor, and still have one that you can beat on until it breaks(if that is possible :D :D ).

4Litre_SiX":2cdgpk8i said:

Im assuming I could run the crank, rods and pistons from a 170? What would this do to my compression ratio if I retain the original cylinder head?........

This would raise the compression somewhat (assuming equal deck height) but the modern head gaskets are quite a bit thicker which would bring it back down a ways. You would really need to do some careful math to make certain, but you would still have those tiny valves and ports.

I've always wanted a 144 Falcon just for the fuel economy, but if you want performance a 200 will be ever so much easier.
Joe

IIRC there was a 4main 200 for a few years you could possibly steal the internals and head from one of those and stick em in your 144 to make it a 200

Mustang Boy":217ivhwg said:
IIRC there was a 4main 200 for a few years you could possibly steal the internals and head from one of those and stick em in your 144 to make it a 200

8) sorry justin, but using a 200 crank to stroke a 144 to make a 200 wont happen, the bore isnt large enough to do that. you would also have to bore the block out to 3.68 from 3.5 and that wont happen. what you would get though is a motor that displaces 181 cubic inches though.

I can totally relate to 4Litre wanting to keep the original motor. You know how much doodoo I have been taking from my friends by keeping the stock motor and not upgrading to a V8 especially with all the $$ machine work that could buy several used 302s around here.

But at last I caved in... upgraded from 200 to 250!!! Go for the 200 and put away the 144 for originality's sake; as long as you got the original parts and don't alter the car none the car's value won't depreciate.

A late model 200 would drop right in and you could even use the 144's valve cover and air cleaner to make it look stock. Just keep all the 144 parts so it can be restored to original.

So i also vote for dropping a 200 in it.

Back