Fuel mileage with 200 inlne?

FordMan1988

Do any of you mind telling me what fuel mileage you get with a 200 inline? I have been looking into 1965-66 Mustangs for a daily driver, I am curious as to what the 200 gets in fuel mileage. The point of going with the 200 would be for fuel eocnomy and durability. Thanks.

63 Falcon
Stock rebuilt 66 Mustang 200
DSII ignition
T5 trans from a 93 Chevy V6 blazer W/C
3:20 gear
215/70/14 rear tires 185/85/13 up front
Sitting fairly low, I cut one full coil from front springs and had to install a spring rubber on both sides. :oops:
2300 RPMs @ 70
23 to 26 MPG

I should also mention that the carb is a Solex from a Volvo Penta Marine engine. 8)
I have had a Holley 1940, Weber 32/36, and the Solex and all got similar results when tuned for the engine.
I know there's more MPG to be had, but haven't had time to search for it.

see sig

average mpg is 21 after 1yr of data collection, min has been 18, max has been 25.
I've found the emptier the tank the better mpg, lol.

1962 Falcon Squire wagon
Stock '65 200
1982-3 Fairmont Holley 1946
DS-II
Chevy S-10 T-5, 1st to 5th = 3.76, 2.18, 1.42, 1.00, 0.72.
Mav 4-lug 8" rear w/ 3.00 gears.
185/80 -13 tires @ 38psi.

Lately, I get about 30mpg (lot of miles on this engine!) on the highway, 2 people, traveling light. I stay below 65mph, usually around 60-62mph.
Around town I get 23-25mpg, depending on lights, A/C, etc.

On the last road trip, fully loaded, a couple big suitcases, big ice chest, bunch of sports gear, assorted other crap, two kayaks on top, cruising at 65mph, I averaged 25mpg over 5000 miles, about half the time we were above 4000 feet elevation.

Skinny tires @ 38psi, DS-II, T5, well tuned, cruising below 65mph, should get you -at least- 25mpg.

Rick(wrench)

Currently I get about 18mpg which sucks! When my mom drove the car she got close to 30 on the freeway. This was in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. I am hoping to get back to around 30mpg after adding the CI head, headers, duel exhaust, and stiffer suspension. Trouble is, I will probably drive her harder and get worse mileage than I do now!

Bone Stock, Autolite 1100 1V carb with 2.77 3 spd & 3.20 rear: 22 MPG @ 65
w/ Pertronix: 24MPG @65
w/ Comp 260H Cam, w/ Pertronix & T5 transmission: 29MPG @ 70 (this is the best I've ever gotten)
w/ Offy 3-1V: 23 MPG @ 70 (mostly my fault...lead foot with that power)
w/ Oz250/2V with Holley 390 4V carb: 24.5 MPG @ 70 w/ 3.40 rear

I'm sure I could squeeze a bit more out of the last set up, but it's so hard to stay off the gas. Also, I don't drive on the highway as much now, so it's hard to get an accurate highway reading. Around town, with my current set up, I see around 19-21MPG, depending on how much I stay off the throttle. Just all that torque, it's so hard...

I hit a wall at 18 to 21 MPG. That was my limit no matter what I tried.

Then I started playing with frontend alignment and it got better. Don't ask me the settings cause I have never had it on a machine. Most of my toe settings involve a string. :LOL: Most of the camber settings require another string and a plumb bob. Actualy, living this far in the South, I have a plumb BILLY BOB, but that's another story.
After making adjustments, I generaly evaluate with the steering wheel and how the car feels. I'm at the point now where I am going to add some caster and tweek it some more. 8)

Alignment makes a huge difference.

As far as alignment goes, bump steer is a big issue if the tie rods are nor parallel to the ground.
When new front springs are installed & the front is raised bump steer is a problem.
What this means when the front suspension changes position you are either toed out or in.
This condition could affect your fuel miliage.
1963 falcon with a modified 200 i get about 18 mpg & thats with a holley direct mounted on a 80 cylinder head.

Stubby":2wg7v64o said:
I hit a wall at 18 to 21 MPG. That was my limit no matter what I tried.

Then I started playing with frontend alignment and it got better. Don't ask me the settings cause I have never had it on a machine. Most of my toe settings involve a string. :LOL: Most of the camber settings require another string and a plumb bob. Actualy, living this far in the South, I have a plumb BILLY BOB, but that's another story.
After making adjustments, I generaly evaluate with the steering wheel and how the car feels. I'm at the point now where I am going to add some caster and tweek it some more. 8)

Alignment makes a huge difference.
Any chance you could elaborate on this procedure a bit?
Thanks,
Joe

Back