$$$/HP

CobraSix

2K+
VIP
Okay, this seems to be a common question, so I wanted to do a little research, and maybe have a sticky to address the question. I'm looking for a little help from the forum.

What I'm looking for is varying level of upgrades, and costs associated with it. Right now, I'm only looking at direct engine upgrade prices. Ignition, cams, pistons, heads, headers etc. Drivetrain, mufflers and other stuff will come later. If you have some hard RWHP data to associate with the price, so much the better, otherwise a decent (and reasonable) estimate will work. If you've run several versions (like I have), post them all.

Basically, I'm trying to put together a table of price points, with associate power upgrades and resulting HP. That way if someone says, "I just got $500 from uncle sam that I want to blow on my car", they can look at some options at the price point.

I know the price my route has cost, but curious about others (such as direct mount 2V, CI heads, etc). If you have a progressive build up, like mine where I did not replace the cam between the Offy and Oz250, just keep the price totaled in each for all components, that way it's a true final cost of the build.

For Example:

Current set up
Power Modifications:
Oz 250/2V (enlarged valves) w/ 4V direct mount Holley 390CFM, DS2 Ignition with MSD Digital 6+, Pacemaker Ceramic coated dual outlet headers, Comp Cam 260H, CI Dual Timing Chain
Result: RWHP = 153
Price: $2600 including labor
Amount of Labor I did: All but the rebuild of the head, and valve enlargement.

Previous set up
Power Modifications:
Offy 3-1V with 3 autolite 1100s, DS2 Ignition with MSD Digital 6+, Comp Cam 260H, CI Dual Timing Chain
Result: RWHP = 140 (estimate)
Price: $1000
Amount of Labor I did: All, including a minor refurb of the head.

I'll play. Total turn key including starter, alternater and header. Using existing engine block,crank.
Classic Inlines head and intake
200ci bored .030 9.7:1 compression
Isky 256/256 Super cam, lifters, springs
Keith Black flat top pistons
Chrome moly rings, push rods
ARP rod bolts, head studs
Holley 390cfm 4v
Stainless valves
DSII ignition
Double roller timing set
Clifford Dual outlet header
If desktop dyno program is right, 175hp 255ft.lbs, torque
Total $5000

Thanks. I'm hoping more will play, so I can get numbers together in a good format and get a sticky together since it's one of the most asked questions, "I have $xxx, how much HP can I get, what should I do?"

I'm not trying to stifle questions, just want a nice guide to maybe help people see some of the available options and price points.

It's an excellent idea. I'm surprised with no more responses. I couldn't break mine down as it is my first 200 build and did it all at once. Building the vehicle from ground up, I can't even compare using the "seat of pants" dynometer.

Not too many of us will ever use a dyno, so the question is irrelevant to most, since we have no way to determine horsepower.

I'll help,

I had stock everything except pony carb and pertronix. I have dyno data if you would like them.
68hp
116tq

MPG from 14 (holley 1946) to 18~19 (pony)

I know not everyone will dyno. I only did it once, and I'm just guessing on my Offy set up based on relative performance with the Oz 250.

Estimates, heresay, desktop dyno, it's all good for my purposes.

Well here is what I am in the process of doing

D7 head pulled from junker with non adjustable rockers and valve cover = $75.00
Sent head to CI from NY $85.00
CI street rebuild/Street port and polish/HW 2V conversion/CC Chambers =?????? ( waiting to hear from Mike LOL)
Pertronix ignition/coil/wires = $120.00
Probably go with CI Header/exhaust package $600.00
HW 32/36 Carb with electric choke, linkage, spacers, fuel regulator= $400.00
Studs/Gaskets etc..= $275.00

I will never Dyno the thing but when I'm done I will gladly tell you if its faster! :D
Crap i never really added it all up before

About 10.5k for multiport fuel injected and m90 blown and mostly all premium parts and pieces for estimated 275hp 5lbs of boost and 310 hp 10 lbs of boost, gobs of torque, its worth the look I get when I open the hood and tell folks its the only bronco like this I know of. Just got 275 hp out of my 350 rebuild for 2k and about to blow it for 400 hp for a total of 3.5 k, to me its all about how unique you want to be, I'm really wanting to build a 350 horse 300 six after Mike gets the heads done, I think that can easily be done for about 4 to 5 grand.

This goes for all sixes and all engines too I guess.

I have allways thought the best bang for the buck is in buying a set of carbide burrs and porting (the bowl/valve guide areas) the head(s) your self.
This is more effective on stock heads.

falcon1963":3ui4838n said:
Just take a look at Mikes website.
He lists all the tests done so far @ classicinlines.com

He has a good list, but price is never addressed. That's the data I'm mining for if people are willing to provide it.

Agreed - it's a very valid point. We all have wishlists, but it's nice to know what we can afford without bottomless funds, or what cherries can be picked from a supplier.

I see an interesting parallel here with the Schjeldahls' FPH. That came from a perspective of staged (by budget and detail) modifications and now we're returning to that criteria but with current prices appended...

Yeah, very similar.

I really wish I had a better idea of price budgets when going down this path. I think I was lucky in how certain things panned out, but still would have been nice to know ahead of time.

Still hoping to get more data so I can start compiling it soon.

I just got another engine back from the machine shop a couple of weeks ago. $1136.00 was the bill for the machine work.

It included .030 overbore, decked .047, hot tanked, new cam bearings installed, crank turned .010-.010, pistons hung, rods reconditioned, ARP rod bolts installed, everything balanced, and the new cam degreed. He even checked the ring clearance and regapped as necessary so all I have to do is assemble it! :D

Later,

Doug

The price of the tri power 200 for parts and machine work was around $3,900.00 for the total build ,with me doing the assembly. the carbs, offy intake and K&N filters plus machine work to mount the carbs was about $1,100.00 of the total cost. $500.00 of the $3900.00 was for for the D.U.I. ignition kit. last August I ran this combo at the drag strip for the first time since the build. In 90 plus degree temps with high humidity I ran a best of 10.57@60.08mph in the 1/8 mile with tire spin and an un tuned engine.on that run which was during qualifing I ran a 73 road runner with a fresh 318, high rise with a 4 bbl , rv cam and headers.he jumped ahead by a little over a car length but we went thru the lights with only a few feet of difference. the look on his face when he looked under the hood after the run was worth every penny of the build :D . The hp calculator estimate about 150 hp figured from the ET.Original road test data from Car LIfe magazine reports 0 to 60 times for the 64 260v8 4 spd sprint to be 12 .1 seconds which gives the Tri power six about a 1.5 second advantage in 0 to 60 accelaration.to sum it all up it runs like a stock v8 but with much more appeal and character. Its always a hit at the cruisins and shows. I hope this info helps answer a few of the common questions I see posted on this forum.here is a vid of the 1/8 mile run.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMpEZdJiRkA

Parts list
.040 bored
decked
sealed power pistons
clevite bearings
rods polished resized ARP bolts
crank turned and oil holes champherd
comp 260 h cam and lifters
melling oil pump
CI double roller timing chain
victor gaskets
CI harmonic balacer
sealed power push rods
78 head milled to 52 ccs
SI stainless valves
sealed power 302 springs
crane retainers and locks
3 angle valve job
mild pocket port and cleanup
port divider
clifford dual outlet header
offy tri power intake with 34 ICH weber carbs
DUI distributor and wires
adjustable rockers
carter fuel pump.
also in the price of the build
are the K&N air filters
and CI aluminum valve cover

Okay just interjecting a little cliche' commentary here, but my hand is forced...
64falconsix":e6ii07ch said:
The price of the tri power 200 for parts and machine work was around $3,900.00 for the total build

the look on his face when he looked under the hood after the run
Priceless!

to sum it all up it runs like a stock v8 but with much more appeal and character.
Well said!

Sorry Slade hope you don't mind the slight detour...but that's a great story and all of this is indeed very helpful info.

I don't mind the detour. His story is why most of us here have kept the 6.

That is the one thing I miss about my Offy set up. The wow factor at shows. Now, you'd be surprised how many idiots I see at shows (well, show and shines at the local drive in) that come up and look at my Oz250 set up and say "I had one just like that brand new, but with an Autolite 4v". Usually I don't get into the diatribe about how that is an impossibility (I feel like Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny when faced with the Bel Air with the 327 question).

Back