I'm back.. Finally

170-3tree

It's been a while since I've posted, but I lurk around here a ton still, but finally got out of a money-pit relationship so I can begin working on the beast again.
I have posted about my build idea some time ago, but in review I'm going to try to make a good drivable vehicle. I plan to have it set up for optimum gas mileage while working for a fun to drive package. I want to avoid pulling a freshly rebuilt engine so I plan to make all of this work done with the head and external modifications.
Basics,
DUI
Pony carb (maybe throttle body in the distant future)
Headers (I hate my glasspack exhaust with a passion)
T-5 and maybe regearing the 8" rear. Someone on here mentioned having done a T5 swap with this year and model, and I was interested in maybe dealing with that person to help me with the crossmember issue for a fair price.
I want it to be fun to drive with efficient power, but in the last thread I made someone said something about a cam favoring the exhaust side of things which left me guessing, what if I just put in a slightly larger exhaust valve and did a bit of polishing in the chamber and smoothing the valve bowls and cast ridges.
And to add just a bit of power at the expense of mileage, A higher ratio rocker assembly?

Always interested in any ideas or tweaks.

in the last thread I made someone said something about a cam favoring the exhaust side of things which left me guessing, what if I just put in a slightly larger exhaust valve and did a bit of polishing in the chamber and smoothing the valve bowls and cast ridges.

Yes polishing in the chamber and opening up and smoothing the valve bowls and cast ridges is good way to go if you want to stay with a mostly stock engine. Adding the larger valves is next good step if you are going to be changing the cam too.

I am trying to avoid changing the cam since if I did I would rather just pull the block. I was wondering if it would be negative to add an ever so slightly increased exhaust valve and leave the intake valve stock in size. I have no Idea what the objections to this move would be, but figured to be on the safe side in planning I would get a few more opinions.

many ford engines see improvement this way so sure you could go with a 1.5 exhaust or if C.I. carries some higher ratio rocker arms it could accomplish same goal or even do both.

I just put in a 8" and a 5 speed in a '65 coupe. I am fixing up some final issues such as a leak from the 5 speed but the majority of the work is done.

I made my own crossmember with about $10 worth of 1/8 plate steel.... I can post the plans if you are interested. I also made my own shifter using my old one, again very easy if you have a welder.

Good luck and welcome back....

I have yet to make one, but I recall someone having a similar model to mine that has done the T5 swap. I wanted to ask if they could assist or even deal in making one as I lack the ability to weld well enough for me to trust my work.

As far as the valves go. Using a Size up exhaust valve with stock intake valves and also using high ratio rockers wouldn't try to extract too much would it?

Should all help boast power some and will add in the old fun to drive department! Pocket porting the valve bowls probably would be biggest gain next a bigger exhaust adding the high ratio rockers is going to help some too gives more lift and a little added duration to cam timing. Should be a very good plan and boast power some especially since you also plan to add a better exhaust system later on. (y)

Back