HELP!......Help Selecting a cam

JW1965

I am new to this swort of deal, and I read through the "select a cam" article. I know I can't have the best of both worlds as far as smoothness and power combined.

I have a 1967 200ci that is bored .30 over (Previous owner did that). It will have the 1980 head that has .70 milled off of stock. I have a holley dual barrel 350cfm (not using the adapter plate, but the "log" opening has been opened wider). It will also have electronic ignition and a v8 style 3-speed manual and 8 inch rear end. Dual outlet headers, too.........

So my question is this: what would be a good cam for a summer time/ weekend driver. Something that I could drive in light traffic and take to the drive-in without it dying on me and looking like a fool?....haha

I want something that will cook when I want it to, but still be able to take it to the city......

With what you've given us so far, I'd go with one of Mike's dual pattern cams 264/274. It's a real nice street cam with a little extra on the exhaust side where our engines need it the most. Depending on your driving style 108* if like a bit of lope to your cam or 110* to 112* if you plan on a lot of highway driving. http://www.classicinlines.com/products.asp?cat=115

Are you using a 1 barrel adapter or are you going with a direct mount 2v modified head? What's your compression ratio going to be?

jahearne":3vstppa3 said:
With what you've given us so far, I'd go with one of Mike's dual pattern cams 264/274. It's a real nice street cam with a little extra on the exhaust side where our engines need it the most. Depending on your driving style 108* if like a bit of lope to your cam or 110* to 112* if you plan on a lot of highway driving. http://www.classicinlines.com/products.asp?cat=115

Are you using a 1 barrel adapter or are you going with a direct mount 2v modified head? What's your compression ratio going to be?

8) +1 in 110 lobe centers.

It is a modified head that my dad had done at his metal shop......It is on my stock 65 bottom end now and runs great....I just wanted to invest my money in that 67 block so that I could have the larger clutch. I am using an adapter plate right now on the small 2.77 bell housing.

I'm running with a Comp Cam 260H cam. It's a nice cam. Idle is smooth, but the cam provides more lift than stock so more power.

I don't have experience with CI's cams, but I've heard the dual patterns are pretty nice.

JW1965":10n1h7mf said:
It is a modified head that my dad had done at his metal shop......It is on my stock 65 bottom end now and runs great....I just wanted to invest my money in that 67 block so that I could have the larger clutch. I am using an adapter plate right now on the small 2.77 bell housing.

Cool, so you're running the Holley 350 right now.

Something that I could drive in light traffic and take to the drive-in without it dying on me and looking like a fool?....haha

Is it dying on you right now as you drive?

no, not dying....Iv'e just heard that the really lopey cams will do that....maybe thats not true?

While it's a fair distance from "bone stock" that recommended (general) pattern of cam has been a popular choice for many years in warmed-up street driven cars. It will definitely go better with a manual transmission than auto.

You might find the throttle needs a little finesse when the motor's stone cold (ie; startup in conditions at or below say 50°F), but that's about all for concern.

Cheers, Adam.

JW1965":639l578b said:
no, not dying....Iv'e just heard that the really lopey cams will do that....maybe thats not true?

If you over cam , especially with a Auto trans car and have a stock converter. You can have problems getting the vehicle to idle in gear.
without a load the idel is not nearly as critical.
If a peron is a savvy tuner you would be amazed at you can make work.

Back