Lifter retaining clip missing

michael_cini

I had to pull the head on my 250 engine, so when I pulled out the pushrods I noticed that the top portion of the lifter came out with one of the pushrods. Once I removed the cylinder head I removed the lifter and discovered that the retaining clip on the top of the lifter was missing. I took a look around with a flashlight and do not see it. Can I get another clip and recompress the lifter, or do I have to buy a new set? The cam and lifter are only about 2 years old. They are Clay Smith, bought from Classic Inlines.
Thanks.
Michael

You should be able to buy 1 lifter and use the bits you need to fix yours. That way the cam lobe and lifter face will remain as a matched set

cheers

You realy don't need the clip. you can re assemble the lifter and install it and the push rod coupled to the valve spring will hold it in place. I drove 100K + miles like this with no problems. If you want to remove the push rod some time in the future just use a sideways movement to break it loose from the lifter before pulling it uo.

Of course if you can get a new clip cheap this is prefered.

8) if you cant find the clip, either get a new one, or find an old lifter and use the clip from that. it would be my luck that a retaining clip went missing, and i would be buzzing along having some fun, and have a valve float on me and the lifter come apart on me.

It would take a bodacious amount of valve float to get the plunger out far enough to actually separate, and by then there would likely be other issues as well :unsure:

The biggest problem would be determining exactly when you have zero-lash; I suppose you could adjust it down until it bottoms out and then back up from there.
Joe

The clip is more than likely in the bottom of the oil pan, should not hurt anything. If you have an engine rebuilding shop near you they would probably give you some old lifters that you could get a clip from to fix yours.

Mike,

Sorry I didn't see this until tonight. I've never head of a clip popping out, but I guess anything is possible. I have a couple extra lifters, so can send you one if you still need it. However, since you posted this four weeks ago, you probably have it fixed already. Sorry about that.

I have to call Clay Smith on Monday so I'll ask them if this if it's a rare occurrence. Or, if it happens often... why? If only to satisfy my own curiosity.....

If something like this happens again and I don't reply, send me a PM/email.

Thanks to everyone who replied for your input.

Mike, I have been quite busy with other projects (house, kid, wife, etc.) to get the head and exhaust back on yet. So, yeah, I will take you up on your offer to send me an extra lifter! I will PM you and sort out the details. Thank you!

AzCoupe":2dwd3fci said:
Mike,

Sorry I didn't see this until tonight. I've never head of a clip popping out, but I guess anything is possible. I have a couple extra lifters, so can send you one if you still need it. However, since you posted this four weeks ago, you probably have it fixed already. Sorry about that.

I have to call Clay Smith on Monday so I'll ask them if this if it's a rare occurrence. Or, if it happens often... why? If only to satisfy my own curiosity.....

By my count there have been three reports of this happening so far. Mine was on a 61 chevy 235 I6 The other I think was electrorc, and this post.
So it might not be as uncommon as people think.
Most push rod engines go their whole life without being disassembled so who knows they might all be missing a clip, as long as no one disterbs them they will give no problems.
After finding my missing clip in 68 I adoptted a side ways motion to break the push rod loose from the top of the lifter so if any had a missing clip it would not get pulled apart by removing the push rod.

Hey Mike,
PM sent a couple of days ago. Any word on the lifter?
Thanks.
Michael

AzCoupe":10ox03wj said:
Mike,

I got the clip from Mike, actually he sent he a whole lifter! Thanks Mike.

Question, all of the lifters that were not taken out of the engine are full of oil and therefore don't compress much when you push down on them with a pushrod. The one that I put a new clip on is empty of oil, is this a problem upon starting the engine? Should I soak the one lifter in oil before installing to fill it up, so it will be the same as the others?

Thanks.
Michael

You can prime it up if you like. I'd just coat it top and bottom with break-in lube though, and after a few minutes running it'll pump up normally.

If your rockers are adjustable, eyeball a similar amount of adjustment on the new lifter to be in the ballpark once it's filled.

Thanks Addo,

That helps. One more question. Since I'm putting the head back on, and the one lifter is not filled can I just start the car and let idle. Or, should I keep the car running at a higher rate for the initial start-up, like when you put in a new cam and lifters?

Michael

addo":7kf8w9ed said:
You can prime it up if you like. I'd just coat it top and bottom with break-in lube though, and after a few minutes running it'll pump up normally.

If your rockers are adjustable, eyeball a similar amount of adjustment on the new lifter to be in the ballpark once it's filled.

Back