need help on 200 build

tikitime

Well I finely have some cash this is what I want to do

send my 250 head to inline for work larger valves carb mount 52 cc chamber size basic street porting at around 1000.00
030 pistons flat top block will be 0 decked dura spark II ignition 264/264 hydr cam stock rocker new
i have a autolite 2100 240 cfm carb will use inlines carb hat cold air intake have ..my transmission is a stock c4 looking for 9.5.1 compression will be for week ends only and a few local shows any sugestions would be helpfull what hp and tourque can i expect i realize it would be a ball park figure would a 264/270 cam be better my wife likes the lopy sound ha ha since shes leting me spend the money i told her i would try :rolflmao: would a 1.6 rocker be better and would my c4 take it ok if i rebuilt it

should i stay away from the roller 1.6 rocker and stay with the stock? the c4 will be rebuilt stock gears i the rear

Don't always believe what you read here, I did the compression calculations and came up with about 10.1 fat tops and about 9.2.1 with 6 cc dished pistons with the info you gave on the 200. with 0 deck and 52 cc heads.

would going to an 1.6 rocker be ok and would it help much i geuss inlines dished pistons would be fine then I havent pulled the block yet so work has not been done on it yet , just wanted as much hp as possible have the cash now wanted to buy everything before some emergency came up ha ha would the 264/274 cam be ok with a c4 and stock rear or should i stick to a 264/264 thanks

I replied to you on the cam, but someone must have deleted my post, guess I'm done and to lazy to write it up again.

Howdy Tiki and All:

The flat-topped pistons will not generate more HP, only higher CR. They are slightly heavier and at a disadvantage to the OEM type dished pistons. Dished pistons in a wedge shaped combustion chamber engine help to control pre-ignition and knock too.

You will be money ahead to get the vlave lift you want from the cam you choose. The 264/274 cam CI lists has a valve lift of .450". I doubt that your head can utilise any more than that. IF increased lift does not continue to increase flow it becomes detrimental to valve train load and stress. You'd be better off with some stock type adjustible rockers to be able to optimize cam timing.

Thaat cam is on the limit for a fairly stock C4 trans. A 264/110 might be better with a C4. It should give you a lopey idle but good vacuum. You still may want to loosen the torque converter's stall speed and use a lower rear end gear, like a 3.2:1 or 3.25:1.

Adios, David

It sounds like you are on the right track. Have you asked mike about a cam recommendation.I would think the smaller cam would work better with a stock converter and higher gears. I am useing a comp 260/.440 in my 200 with 3.20 gears and stock c4 . It has slight lope and runs strong but I think anything bigger would kill low end acceleration without a looser converter or stick shift . I would go with stock adjustable rockers in 1.5 ratio with the log style head.

is there any advantage to the DUI instead of the DS11 besides everything being in one in the dui ?? also has anyone here had custom inlines do any head work and were you happy and thanks everyone for responding to my questions nice to have a place to go for advice :beer:

Check out the mallory system that one guy has for sale, I think its a very good deal, I bought just the distributor for 200 with shipping used because it lists for 450.00, I needed a distibutor that took up less room with my blower and it works great, he also has the cd unit and coil thrown in and I would have bought it in a heartbeat when I was looking, it also seems their is a general consensus that the 264/264 110 would be a good cam and I concour, as to weather Mikes head is a good deal, I would say certainly, he is a retentive with his products and is an absolute professional, I got one from clifford at one time and sent it back it was so badly done and the jerk there would not even refund my money, since Jack clifford died, his son in law has no idea what he is doing, I have bought many items from Mike and all have been A1 parts and I'm glad to see you supporting his products, now if someone doesn't get emotional, I may get this post posted.

If you're running an automatic transmission Mike would probably recommend a cam with a 112°LC.
At least he did for me, running the 264/274/112. 8)

Back